Outlook will no open OST File until after reboot RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to open Outlook 365 Business I am unable to do so. I receive an error that my OST file cannot be opened. 

I have attempted to:

1. Repair the OST file
    2. Online repair of office
    3. Uninstalled and installed office twice.
    4. Update Office to the latest
    5. Update Windows to the latest
    6. Recreate my profile (I've done this multiple times)
    7. Start outlook into safe mode. 

On rebooting the PC I am able to open outlook as though nothing is wrong. However I can't reboot my computer every 5 minutes. 

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 11:51 AM

All replies

• This is now affecting 5 users at our business
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

>> Repair the OST file
    Do you mean you have recreated your OST file?

>> On rebooting the PC I am able to open outlook as though nothing is wrong. However I can't reboot my computer every 5 minutes.
    This problem will be solved when you restart your computer but will reappear after five minutes, right?

Given this situation, please start your Outlook client in online mode via Control Panel > Mail > Email Accounts > Double click your account > Uncheck Use Cached Exchange Mode.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got your issue fixed?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    And if you need further assistance on this, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:33 AM
  • Do you mean you have recreated your OST file? 

I have also recreated the OST but additionally I have scanned it for corruption and found none. 

This problem will be solved when you restart your computer but will reappear after five minutes, right?

Given this situation, please start your Outlook client in online mode via Control Panel > Mail > Email Accounts > Double click your account > Uncheck Use Cached Exchange Mode.

I did try this but it was so slow that our users couldn't operate in that manner. We require cached mode. 

I will add though that the cannot load error does go away when not using cached mode however it is totally unusable as a working environment. 

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your updates.

I found a thread may be helpful to you: Outlook 2016 cannot open OST file.

You can refer to the suggestion of ShadoShryke and test.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 8:46 AM
  • ShadoShryke's comments. 

Here is what I found when I encountered this.   I tried a lot of the same steps, but had run into the same thing where it started a whole new file every time it hung up.    Then I got curious and tried the following when encountered on the same "outlook.com" account.

1) I closed all processess for Outlook.exe through the task manager.   Half the time, even though it looked like Outlook had just closed itself, it still had the outlook.exe process running in the background.

2) Ran a repair on the OST using the scanpst.exe tool found in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16" folder on the OST.

3) KEY TRICK -> Deleted the affiliated @outlook.com.ost.tmp found in the Data File folder.  For mine, it was:
    "C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook"

Once the TMP file was gone, Outlook 2016 stopped having an issue.   So, apparently it was both the ".ost.tmp" and the ".ost" that became corrupted.  By deleting the tmp and repairing the ost, everything went back to normal without it trying to create a new ost file to work with.

Our affected users do not have a TMP file associated with their OST's. 

This will not work for us. 

Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:47 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your updates.

I'm researching on your issue.

Once there is any update, I will post here at the first time.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Monday, June 3, 2019 8:20 AM