none
WSUS - April 2015 Updates not synced from Microsoft

Question

• Hi,

we have problems to sync April 2015 Updates from Microsoft!
    I synced multiple times in the last 10 hours, but the updates are not synced.

Are there know problems, syncing the newest updates from Microsoft?
    Normal Windows Updates is working, without problems!

I also set up a new machine, same result -> no April updates.

We use WSUS 6.3.9600.16384 (Windows 2012 R2).

Thx

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• We have the same Problems, too.

We have two Update Servers also on 2012 R2 and none of them has got the Updates. Synced multiple times, but still nothing.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:08 AM
  • Hi there, getting the same issue on my 2012 R2 server.

Did sync multiple times and no new updates pulled through. 

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:52 AM
  • Same problem here with 2012 R2 WSUS 6.3.9600.16384 Microsoft support please fix this ASAP!

Thank you.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 8:05 AM
  • Same issue in my environment. Wsus is not syncing Patch Tuesday April 2015 updates. It is syncing SCEP definitions however:

Martin Bengtsson | www.imab.dk

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 10:23 AM
  • We are experiencing the exact same issue on our new WSUS server.

Version: 6.3.9600.16384 on Hyper-V VM Server 2012 R2 Datacenter.

We have an old server that we replaced with the new one. It doesn't have many pc's updating from it any more but it has synched fine.

Version: 3.2.7600.226 on Hyper-V VM Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Both update servers get to Microsoft through the same proxy server with the same credentials.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:22 AM
  • I have 2 SCCM environments.  Underlying WSUS is 6.2.9200.16384.  Both have been up and running for months.  1 was able to sync down all updates right @ 1PM.  I started the sync @ 1:15 on the 2nd environment and it didn't get the updates.  However the 1 that didn't pull down software updates did pull down dat files last night.

Green lights across the board in both SCCM environments under monitoring (Site Status and Component Status).  WYSYNC logs show the syncs, underlying WSUS shows successful syncs... not sure what is going on here.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 1:26 PM
  • I now setup two new machines. 2008r2 and 2012r2 (both Standard, both patched until march), installed wsus role on both.

Same problem. No april updates.

Forefont Updates, or earlier realsed updates are synced without problems.

One interesting thing. some of march upates (like the mallicous removal update) now have 14.04. as timestamp/relased date.

I also asked a partner company. The have synced the updates without problem (2012 R2 Datacenter).

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:48 PM
  • Opening a ticket with MS.  I will try and get back to update this with my findings later today.  I don't think there is a problem with my SCCM but I will see (hopefully).  Someone else may have a ticket open about this same thing but there isn't anything going on with that yet.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:53 PM
  • Haven't had my call with MS yet but the 0 days from 4/15 for IE just came down no problem.  Still nothing from the 14th...

Here's a pic from WSUS under SCCM:

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:09 PM
  • Same too. IE Flash updates came down without problems! Still no updates from patchday.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:16 PM
  • Now Windows Updates also deploys wrong updates!

KB890830 Malicious Software Removal Tool brings on 2008R2 Februar 2015 and
    on 2012 R2 March 2015 update.

And still no statement form MS.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 4:37 AM
  • Hi, we have the same problems.
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 6:21 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Here is a similar threads:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6dbe893b-39f5-4367-902d-678a2a897b9b/wsus-not-syncronizing-aprils-updates?forum=configmanagersecurity

According to mitch.e.smith, it appears to be an issue with the catalog servers.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 7:32 AM
  • Can someone try this to see if the issue gets resolved?

1. Disable syncing Security Updates
    2. Sync WSUS or SCCM environment
    3. Enable syncing Security Updates
    4. Sync WSUS or SCCM environment

That would tell WSUS not to do Delta sync for Security Updates.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:06 AM

Now the security updates are synced.
    Important and other Updates still missing.
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:43 AM

Now the security updates are synced.
    Important and other Updates still missing.

Try to sync each category alone, should bring most of the updates!
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:53 AM
  • Our Microsoft engineer got back to us and asked us to use the same method described by you Marta Barillas and AlexAT78. I can confirm that this does indeed bring down the updates. We're just not sure now if we have all of them.
    • Edited by e-c-k Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:40 AM Update
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:39 AM
  • I generally sync Critical, Security and dat files.  Cycling through scanning for a single classification at a time did work to an extent.  The problem is that all the meta data for the security updates is showing up as expired in SCCM.  Anyone else seeing stuff as expired this morning who did this?
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 11:48 AM

This worked for us as well. Our WSUS 3.0 Server pulled down the updates successfully on Tuesday, but the WSUS 2012 one did not and I've been trying ever more complex fixes ever since. Thank you for this!
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:27 PM

This worked for us as well. Our WSUS 3.0 Server pulled down the updates successfully on Tuesday, but the WSUS 2012 one did not and I've been trying ever more complex fixes ever since. Thank you for this!

I also tried this method and it worked! It was however, after some changes. Details:

We are syncing critical, security, and service packs

I have SCCM 2012 R2. I have a prod and test environment. My test environment synced the April updates just fine but i could not get prod to sync April 2015.

I tried unchecking just security like the suggestion said and that did not work. What I did instead was uncheck everything else BUT security and ran a sync - nothing synced.

I then went back in and checked critical and service packs again and ran another sync. This time it looked like it tried to sync but it ended up failing (first time that had happened all day).

I then ran a second time and it pulled in all of the April updates! thank you!

EDIT:

My steps listed out:

1. Disable all other update classifications besides security (we are syncing Critical, Security, and Service Packs)

2. sync WSUS manually (nothing happened)

3. enable the other classifications you originally had

4. sync WSUS manually again (received error)

5. sync WSUS manually a second time – it worked!

6. Run sync from SCCM 

• Edited by atom_acres Thursday, April 16, 2015 7:45 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 7:18 PM
  • Enabling critical/security/dat files and trying to scan again.  I have 2 SUPs on site in the failed environment (WU -> SUP1 -> SUP2).  SUP 2 choked... trying again.  The expired issue seems to have resolved in the console.
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 7:22 PM
  • Monday, April 20, 2015 5:10 PM
  • May updates going smoothly?  
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:05 PM
  • To follow up on this, some users of Windows Server Update Service (WSUS) reported an unexpected intermittent sync problem shortly after release of the April security patches. This issue may have temporarily affected a WSUS Admins ability to sync released patches to their top-level WSUS server. A workaround was posted, and while Microsoft engineers quickly investigated the reported problem, the cause of the sync failure has not been determined. 

No issues have been reported as a result of the May security patch release and no further details have been found. We will continue to monitor for any future signs of the problem reoccurring and update this thread and KB article 3058255 as appropriate.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 7:55 PM