none
Need to install s Standard edition server within existing Enterprise edition RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I have a task of installing a management server that will host Sefautil application

I have a provisioned a dedicated server for this purpose. Could you correct the below steps

1. Provision a server with Win 2012 OS

2. Open topology builder on an existing FE server and under Standard edition add the newly built server and publish the topology

3. Run the Lync server installer file on management server/run deployment wizard and this is where i am lost now?

Do i need to install a standard edition server or i just need to run "Install local config store" and followed by the rest of the three additional steps

Sunday, August 5, 2018 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hi MS Follower,

You do not need to install a Standard Edition Server, you can run the SEFAUtil tool in any Front End pool in your deployment. To run the SEFAUtil tool you must run Steps 1, 2, and 3 from the Skype for Business Deployment Wizard on the Trusted Application Computer. You could refer to the following official document to find the details:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/deploy/deploy-enterprise-voice/deploy-the-sefautil-tool 

In addition, you could refer to the following link to find more about SEFAUtil Server (Community Edition) for Skype for Business Server, you could also find more details about installing & using SEFAUtil Server:
    https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/lync/SEFAUTIL-Server-Community-6cd286b2#content 

Best Regard,
    Evan
    Monday, August 6, 2018 2:46 AM
  • Hello Evan,

I need to install sefautil on a management server as we had experienced major issues while installing sefautil on an existing FE

I did install the Lync server on a management server, but now the problem is i cannot get any output for any of the Get-cs* commandlets. Any idea

And neither does Front end service start on management server
    • Edited by MS Follower Monday, August 6, 2018 10:46 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2018 10:45 AM
  • does any one have any idea please
    Monday, August 6, 2018 1:25 PM
  • Hi MS Follower,

According to your description, I did install the Lync server on a management server, could you please explain what is the management server. 

In this case, do you mean you can’t run the “Get-Cs” cmdlet and the Front End Service is not running? If yes, you could check the Event error in your FE Server, you could also try to run the steps in the “Install or Update Skype for Business Server System” in the Deployment Wizard. You could also check the other Skype services include Windows Fabric Host Service whether running in the FE server. 

Best Regard,
    Evan
    Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:15 AM
  • Hello Evan,

Below is the current situation: -

I provisioned a new server with 2012 R2. We have couple of Lync sites for example "Lync Site A" and Site B

Site A has two enterprise pools configured- one acts as production and the other pool standby. I opened existing topology from one of the FE prod server that is hosted on Lync Site A > Under standard edition, added the new server and then ran Deployment wizard on the new server (I did not select prepare standard edition)

I dont want to use this new SFE server to participate in voice call or neither EDge server. Hence i skipped those two options while running the wizard

Current problem: -

I only see below Lync server on the standalone server: -

Running  W3SVC
    Running  REPLICA
    Running  RTCCLSAGT
    Stopped  RTCSRV
    Running  RTCATS
    Stopped  RTCIMMCU
    Running  RTCXMPPTGW

I have tried to run Install or Update Skype for Business Server System multiple times but the service will not start.

Error: - Could not start FE service error code: - 1008125646

I cannot download topology neither and gives me an error mentioned in below article: -

http://www.wavecoreit.com/blog/serverconfig/skype-for-business-topology-builder-could-not-read-the-topology/

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:28 PM
  • Hi MS Follower,

Do you mean you deploy a new Standard Server in the site A to install Sefautil application? In the new server, some Skype for Business services show the status as stopped and you also can’t download the topology in the server. 

If my description is right, you need to add new SFB Server’s information in the topology and deploy it right, you could refer to the blog to find how to deploy the SFB Sever:
    http://blog.schertz.name/2015/06/sfb2015deploy1/ 

As I replied to you before, you do not need to install a Standard Edition Server, you can run the SEFAUtil tool in any Front End pool in your deployment. You could refer to the blog I have provided to you to install the SEFAUtil Server.

Best Regard,
    Evan
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 8:14 AM
  • Evan,

I cant install sefautil on existing FE because last time it broke the conference session and we ended up in a service interuption

Hence we decided to install a management server. The reason why u see services being stopped is- I unchecked "Integration with Edge server" and did not want this management server to participate with mediation servers.

I first added the server under standard edition tree under Site B and then ran deployment wizard.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:22 AM
  • Hi MS Follower,

Please remove the Management server from the topology, publish and run the SfB deployment wizard. Add the management server as trusted application, publish and run deployment wizard.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/deploy/deploy-enterprise-voice/deploy-the-sefautil-tool

Check if you can run any SfB powershell command.

Don't deploy a complete FE server on your management server.

best regards Holger Bunkradt Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 11:47 AM
  • Thank you Holger,

I can only install Sefautil, once my management server (which has Lync server 2013 Standard edition installed) is able to get output of all the Get-cs* cmdlets. Y? because once i configure the server for Sefautil, it should be able to fetch the user's information.

Please remove the Management server from the topology, publish and run the SfB deployment wizard. Add the management server as trusted application, publish and run deployment wizard.

- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/deploy/deploy-enterprise-voice/deploy-the-sefautil-tool

----> I am a little confused. Sorry. Once i remove the management server which has Lync server core components installed already, do u want me to remove it from the existing Topology? If yes, post publishing the topology what will happen to the management server?

The server will then be directly associated with the existing topology, based on the trusted application? But will that allow me to fetch the user information?

Don't deploy a complete FE server on your management server.? Are you suggesting to only install Admin tools?

• Edited by MS Follower Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:26 PM
  • Hi MS Follower,

OK, You need only to install the server as trusted application. This means only the SfB core installation will be done from the deployment wizard.

You don't need als the other services like FE service etc.

Only the CLSLogging and replication services and the SQL database will be installed.

This is enough to run all SfB powershell commands and get all information.

For sefautil, you only need to install the trusted application in addition.

best regards Holger Bunkradt Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:45 PM
  • this basically takes downloading of topology on management server out of equation? Right
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:11 PM
  • Holger,

Just to recap, can you see below steps and confirm: -

1. Provision a new VM and load win 2012

2. OPen the Lync set up file > Under deployment wizard run "Prepare first standard edition"

3. Run below two command: -

- New-CsTrustedApplicationPool -id managementserver.xyz.com -Registrar feppol01.xyz.com -site Site:"Site-A"

- New-CsTrustedApplication -ApplicationId sefautil -TrustedApplicationPoolFqdn managementserver.xyz.com -Port 7489

Please correct the order

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 3:39 PM
  • Hi MS Follower,

If you have an existing SfB Enterprise or Standard server, you don't need to run "Prepare first standard edition".

This is only, if you don't have installed any SfB server.

For the management server it is enough to run 

- New-CsTrustedApplicationPool -id managementserver.xyz.com -Registrar feppol01.xyz.com -site Site:"Site-A"

- New-CsTrustedApplication -ApplicationId sefautil -TrustedApplicationPoolFqdn managementserver.xyz.com -Port 7489

- enable-CsTopology

- Last step run setup from the SfB medium on your new server and run the deployment wizard with "Install or Update Skype for Business.."

- Install SfB Resskit with sefautil

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:07 PM
  • I have existing enterprise pool sitting in Lync site-A which is our production servers

When you say run Install or update lync server, i will have to complete all the 4 steps in it? or just 2nd one?

The first step would need CMS but the problem is the its unable to contact the CMS store

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:35 PM
  • Hi MS Follower,

Is there any update for this issue? According to the official document, you need to run all the 3 steps in "Install or Update Skype for Business.."

Best Regard,
    Evan
    Friday, August 10, 2018 7:18 AM
  • i am unable to install 1st step i.e. install local store and get data from CMS. The automatic collection of configuration data failed
    Friday, September 14, 2018 6:46 PM
  • Hi,

If you unable to contact the CMS store on your backend server it looks like a permission problem. Do you use the same domain forest for both pools?

best regards Holger Bunkradt Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com. Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 14, 2018 6:51 PM
  • We have two pools in same Lync server site 

I associated sefautil management server to pool 2 which is a standby pool

I cannot telnet to SQL backend server on port 1433 via management but i can do it from existing FE server though 

Friday, September 14, 2018 7:35 PM
  • ok, if you cannot reach the default SQL port 1433 for the default instance, check you firewall settings.

For cms you need to reach the sql database of the cms

best regards Holger Bunkradt Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com. Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 14, 2018 9:22 PM
  • Thnx. The firewal guy was not able to figure it out untill he modified some policy. Now that i am able to fetch the CMS data and step 1 is marked as completed, I can query get-csuser* commandvia shell no. I see local SQL store is also installed post running step-1 and i manully started LYnc replication service

However, the last challenge is to get output using Sefautil commandlet which is still giving me empty output. For this to work, why do i need to run step-2 which will install Core lync services and will consume license? Any thoughts?

Thursday, September 20, 2018 7:57 PM
  • Any idea on why sefautil command gives me no output? I can receive output for any Get-cs* commandlets via Lync management shell
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 1:50 PM