vms123.mailsrvcs.net #530 5.7.0 No AUTH command has been given. ## RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've setup a fresh Exchange Server 2010. I've set the connectors. The send connector uses a smart host of Verizon and I set it to use 587 port with "None" authentication. My users receive email. However, they can't send anything outside of the organization. They get a NDR immediately saying: 

vms123.mailsrvcs.net #530 5.7.0 No AUTH command has been given. ##

Original message headers:
    Received: from EXCHANGE.xxx.local ([...]) by
     Exchange.xxx.local ([...]) with mapi; Sun, 29

This happens from both OWA and Outlook.

Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:57 PM

Answers

• By default, port 587 on an Exchange server is the client submission port and requires authentication.  Does Verizon instruct you to use port 587?  Normally SMTP is from server to server using port 25.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Marked as answer by Iri T Monday, April 30, 2012 11:33 AM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Hi Ed, 

Verizon do block 25 port, so I had to use the 587 one. However, as the domain is hosted by 1and1, not Verizon (Verizon is just the ISP), I had to use their mail server as a relay. The authentication was the same as for their control panel. Thank you for pointing me that 587 requires some kind of authentication. I finally found one which one exactly :)

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, May 7, 2012 7:53 AM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 11:22 AM

All replies

• By default, port 587 on an Exchange server is the client submission port and requires authentication.  Does Verizon instruct you to use port 587?  Normally SMTP is from server to server using port 25.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Marked as answer by Iri T Monday, April 30, 2012 11:33 AM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Thank you for your reply. I'm having all kinds of issues with this send connector and I've read that Verizon blocks port 25. That's why I was trying with the 587. Anyway, now I've set it up with the default 25 port and the error I get is 451 4.4.0 DNS query failed. The messages are now stuck in the queue.

Ideas?

Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:07 PM
  • If Verizon blocks port 25, then you will probably need to use their SMTP server to relay to the Internet.  Contact Verizon for information on how to connect to their SMTP relay server.

Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Hi Ed, 

Verizon do block 25 port, so I had to use the 587 one. However, as the domain is hosted by 1and1, not Verizon (Verizon is just the ISP), I had to use their mail server as a relay. The authentication was the same as for their control panel. Thank you for pointing me that 587 requires some kind of authentication. I finally found one which one exactly :)

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, May 7, 2012 7:53 AM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 11:22 AM