Windows 7 Pro 64 extremely slow startup after login RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know this has been brought up by other people, but each case seams to be unique (as far as I can tell).

My Windows 7 Pro 64bit PC is extremely slow to start up after logging in to my user account. It takes ~20 minutes for it to get in to a useable state. Before this, it is horribly slow and unresponsive. I've tried disabling all the programs that start up with Windows, but that didn't appear to make any difference.

This problem has happened on my Mums laptop, and has happened at almost exactly the same time. The only software the 2 machines have in common (apart from Windows 7) is Kaspersky Pure 2.0 antivirus, so it could be a problem connected with that, or potentially just as easily, a Windows update.

I have my Event Viewer admin logs and System Info file ready to share, but my account needs to be verified before I can post a link to them.

Any help or advice on curing this problem would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Chris

Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:30 PM

Answers

• I think it's Kaspersky that's the cuprite here.

I'd left my PC running since the slow start up problem occurred, and over the weekend, Kaspersky decided to disassociate itself with it's own activation code. A reboot sorted it out, but it left me thinking that something wasn't right. I uninstalled it, restarted a few times (nice and fast... just like it should be), then reinstalled Kaspersky.

So far, after a few restarts, everything is running properly and startup times are back where they should be. Kaspersky has always been slow (~20-30 seconds) to start, but I can live with that. Just need to see if reinstalling Kaspersky works on my Mums laptop too.

Thanks for your help Aaron and ZigZag... very much appreciated!!

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:23 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:07 PM

All replies

• If you are being told you cant post a link, or embed a picture (or any other restriction) you just need to post to this thread saying your account has not been validated

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com

Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:39 PM
  • Thanks ZigZag3143x
    Friday, May 3, 2013 6:27 AM
  • Glad it worked Did you post what you needed to?

Friday, May 3, 2013 6:45 AM
  • still waiting for verification  :)

Friday, May 3, 2013 8:30 AM
  • FB

Its only been 10 hours

Friday, May 3, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Monday, May 6, 2013 4:51 PM
  •  Uninstall Kaspersky, if that doesn't work run MSConfig.exe and disable startup items and test. Windows Safe Mode is another good idea to disable any extra straggelers.

Was it ever working fine, as expected, on that machine? Did this just crop up recently or has it always been this way? What changed? Anything you can think of? What's the most likely cause in your opinion? Add any new software? Not talking about patches (updates) but actually add a new device or a new app on the machine? If another PC is working fine on the same subnet (local or home network) then probably not network related. Unless you're hitting different websites and comparing apples to oranges.

I'd uninstall Kaspersky first, check Action Center/Security to see if it goes back to Windows Defender. If not install Microsoft Security Essentials for free. If that still doesn't work then it's probably another background process

Device Manager reporting any issues? Right-NIC/Monitor/HD and do an update on each one via online in the wizard?

Check hard disk space.

Unplug devices, if possible.

Monday, May 6, 2013 5:38 PM
  • Fenderblast

From eventvwr you net framework is failing to initialize and waiting until the timeout is reached.  It repeats it over & over.  I suggest you uninstall all net framework and then re-install them .

Monday, May 6, 2013 6:12 PM
  • I think it's Kaspersky that's the cuprite here.

I'd left my PC running since the slow start up problem occurred, and over the weekend, Kaspersky decided to disassociate itself with it's own activation code. A reboot sorted it out, but it left me thinking that something wasn't right. I uninstalled it, restarted a few times (nice and fast... just like it should be), then reinstalled Kaspersky.

So far, after a few restarts, everything is running properly and startup times are back where they should be. Kaspersky has always been slow (~20-30 seconds) to start, but I can live with that. Just need to see if reinstalling Kaspersky works on my Mums laptop too.

Thanks for your help Aaron and ZigZag... very much appreciated!!

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:23 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Fenderblast

Doesnt surprise me a bit glad you got it sorted out.  Good Luck

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Exact same thing here with my laptop running Windows7 premium ... seriously considering switching to Linux-Ubuntu. My desktop previously ran on Windows Vista Basic but ever since I switched to Linux-Ubuntu it has been smooth sailing ... loads and everything is ready to roll in under a minute. Every Windows version release has promised a fast boot/Startup/load but this has never been the case ... I am frustrated and fed up with Windows

DA

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:51 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem.  After about a year of trying every recommendation I read on multiple forums, I found one thing that solved my problem: disabling Intel(R) Anti-Theft (AT) Technology in the BIOS.

Enter BIOS Setup Utility from power off:

1.  Power on and enter boot menu (tapping F2 immediately when computer starts or whichever button your system uses to enter boot setup).

2. Navigate to the setup screen where Intel(R) AT Support System is found.

3. Disable both Intel(R) AT Support System and Intel(R) AT Suspend.

4. Save Changes and Exit

After doing the above, my system rebooted to the login screen (with no noticeable delay), and more importantly, after I entered my windows password, my desktop loaded within just a couple of seconds-as fast as it did when I first bought the computer!

I hope this helps!

Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:49 PM