MDT 2010 Update 1 not partitioning drive Sizes Correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I have worked with MDT 2010 (NOT update 1) and was able to successfully partition the drives to a particular size.  For instance 32GB for my C:\ Drive.  I have since decided to rebuild this server completely and since MDT 2010 Update 1 was available for download I had used that because of some of the bug fixes.  However, now If I deploy Server 2003 using MDT and make any changes to the newly deployed OS ( for example Updates), and then run sysprep and capture and deploy that captured image to another server it does not keep the 32GB drive it formats the whole disk and uses it all for the C:\ Drive.  When I deploy the baseline image ( the image that I will later sysprep and capture) it deploys with 32GB C:\ Drive.  Though I have noticed once where i had to re-deploy it again (I didn't make any changes at all ) and then it only used 32 GB.  I have tried re-creating the task.  I have triple checked that the Task Sequence part "Format and Partition" is configured to the 32 GB for the C:\.  If I created another partition in addition to having the 32GB C:\ rather than leaving it unallocated it works perfectly.  I would do it this way except the second partition needs to be E:\ , and it sometimes gets assigned a different drive letter ( D:\ for instance) if it doesn't have a DVD-Rom drive.  I am really not sure what else to try, this worked perfectly in the MDT 2010 without the update.  I have done some checking and was unable to find anyone else who has ran across this issue.  Any help with this would be appreciated!
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:33 PM

Answers

• I was able to get it to work.  What I ended up doing was editing the sysprep.inf file and also the unattend.xml from the task sequences (under the OSInfo Tab.  I had changed the following EXTENDOEMPARTITION = 1 to EXTENDOEMPARTITION=0.  In the unattend.xml i had also removed the ";" from in front of the EXTENDOEMPARTION...   Now it is keeping the drive sizes.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 6:14 PM

All replies

• The drive configurations are configured in the "format and partition disk" step, you would normally configure the second parition to 100% after setting the 1st partition to the desire size.

MCTS: ConfigMgr, MDT / http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/cnackers/default.aspx
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:09 PM
  • This would be something I wouldn't have an issue with except that if I do that it will then create the drive but I also want to sysprep and capture this image also.  When I deploy the syspreped image it doesn't keep the drive letter that I assigned to it.
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:09 PM
  • So are you trying to build a reference image or deploy?  It's not recommended to have multiple partitions in the reference image, you should just have a single partition.  
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:24 PM
  • I am building an image to be deployed to other servers.  I am creating one partition for the C:\ Drive and that size is 32 GB.  The remaining storage lets say 100GB i am leaving as unallocated.  The reason I am doing this is because any apps that we install will get installed on the E:\ Drive ( Which is created AFTER the server is deployed, it gets it storage from the unallocated space).  I am currently building my server 2008 & 2008 R2 images the same with and they are working without any problems.  It appears to be only the server 2003 images.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 1:31 PM
  • You just need to configure your deploy task sequence to create a 32gb partition, and apply the .wim to that partition.... you might as well have it create the other partition as well, however you can't really control the drive letter, as that is dependent upon windows assign the drivers, however it's easily changed later... 
    Friday, September 17, 2010 1:38 PM
  • I was able to get it to work.  What I ended up doing was editing the sysprep.inf file and also the unattend.xml from the task sequences (under the OSInfo Tab.  I had changed the following EXTENDOEMPARTITION = 1 to EXTENDOEMPARTITION=0.  In the unattend.xml i had also removed the ";" from in front of the EXTENDOEMPARTION...   Now it is keeping the drive sizes.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 6:14 PM
  • As others have said, all you have to do is configure the task sequence "Format and Partition Disks" and you can create various partitions with whatever size you want. You can even take the same captured WIM and deploy it with different sized partitions in different task sequences. No need to worry about the size of the C partition on the refrence system.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 6:24 PM
  • As stated in my previous post I have been using the Format and partition in the task sequence but it made no difference.  I would set the C:\ Partition to be 32GB but in the end after the syspreped image would be deployed it would take up the whole drive....There would be only ONE partition and that would be the C:\ Drive.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 9:49 PM