none
DPM 2012 - BMR/System State protection. Green check/Protection OK but not actually creating recovery points RRS feed

• Question

• DPM 2012 (4.0.1915.0) on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1.

I have several physical and virtual machines protected with both "bare metal recovery" and "system state" in a protection group labeled "BMR Protection Group".

The group has the following options set:

Short-term protection using disk. Retention range 5 days. Express full backup @ 9:00pm everyday. Run a consistency check if a replica becomes inconsistent.

ISSUE: I checked on this today (after months of seeing green check marks - protection status OK) and the only available recovery point is from when I originally set it up months ago. Is this setup wrong? If I initiate a manual consistency check, it will create a recovery point. However, no recovery points are being created automatically every night when the express full backup runs.The dialog box even states "...the recovery point is as per express full backup"

What's concerning is this always looked "OK" per the green check and now we find out it hasn't run in months....ughhh.

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, September 28, 2012 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

Do you have any "Alert/error message" in monitoring tab ?

Do you see your job in "Today's Jobs" ? 

If your protection has "never" work, my advice is to stop protection (Don't forget to Retain Data) and then recreate your PG again.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

Do you have any "Alert/error message" in monitoring tab ?

Do you see your job in "Today's Jobs" ? 

If your protection has "never" work, my advice is to stop protection (Don't forget to Retain Data) and then recreate your PG again.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:53 PM
  • Turns out I have the same issue. Did you find a solution? 
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:34 AM
  • Same issue here and YES Stephane jobs come up everyday as expected in "Today's jobs"  They then actually fire off but fail.  In my case this was the scenario:

I am running DPM 2012 SP1 Version: 4.1.3417.0 and remote SQL 2008 R2 fully patched.  When I drill into the directory the job step references "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012\SQLPrep\TriggerJob.exe" there is nothing there.  Nothing beyond the SQLPrep directory other than 2 log files.  As with everybody else I can run the jobs manually no problem.  The schedules all exist, permissions seem to be OK, but the jobs simply do NOT exist in this directory; maybe they are not supposed to??  This setup has worked for over a year but I did a failed live migration of the SQL Server.  I moved the .vhd and and rebuilt the VM in Hyper-V after I rebuilt physical server.  Manually moved SQL machine back after fresh install of Server 2012 R2 and again created new VM using old .vhd.  Everything seems to work fine except scheduled jobs.  Again, they do NOT exist in the directory path specified by the job.  HELP!!??  I have also added the newly rebuilt server to Protection Groups AND added other VMs to a PG thinking this would rewrite the jobs where they needed to go but no dice............   All the while there are no  errors being reported by DPM Server......... all GREENS everywhere.  Most probably because the jobs DO fire off, however, fail almost immediately so DPM "thinks" the job succeded??  However HOW can it not know the consistency check is OK as it did not run.  Again, consistency checks, recovery points, anything can be run manually.  Something going on at SQL Server

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:44 AM
  • I had to stop the protection and then recreate it. I learned my lesson here. Be sure and check the "latest recovery point" time and date. Also, I'm pretty sure the full blown bare metal recovery requires the windows backup feature (via Server Manager - Add roles and features) to be installed on the hyper-v host (or VM) for this to work.
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 7:05 AM