On-Premise Skype for Business users are unable to either communicate nor see presence of other company's users hosted in Cloud (Office 365 S4B Online) RRS feed

• Question

• We have Skype for Business on-premise server 2015 deployed in our datacenter for years. We are communicating with other organizations without any problem, but all of them are hosted also on-premise. Recently one of our daughter company created Office 365 tenant, so they are using MS Teams (as when you try to open Client for Skype for Business Online, you get a warning, saying that you should use Teams instead). So our users are unable to see their presence in Outlook.

I Asked my friend in other company, who also uses on-premise S4B server to try to communicate with Office 365 users via Skype for Business Client app and they could not do it either. Is it even possible to get it working, is it supported by Microsoft?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 12:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Giorgi Gujabidze,

This is the default behavior, as federation between MS Teams and Skype for Business On-premise is not supported for now, this is by design.

As far as I know, Microsoft is working on it, once this function is supported, Microsoft will let us know, please wait for it. 

In addition, you could also refer to the feedback in the MS Teams Feedback Website. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Wednesday, June 12, 2019 6:19 AM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 1:48 AM
  • Hello Evan87 Jiang,

I suspected that this is the case, but unfortunately I couldn't manage to find an official feedback about it. That's why I asked for help from Technet users. I will try to use the link you've provided as a proof of it, to explain my management, why this funcionality doesn't work.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 5:59 AM
  • Hi Giorgi Gujabidze,

Please refer to the official document: Coexistence with Skype for Business, it shows the details about this:

whether the conversation is possible:

• In-tenant interoperability requires that the tenant is either pure online or Skype for Business hybrid. Purely on-premise tenants can't have in-tenant interoperability.
    • Cross-tenant federation always requires proper Skype for Business federation configuration as well as proper Teams federation configuration from both tenants. Skype for Business hybrid is not required of either tenant.
    • If the Skype for Business account of the originator is homed on-premise, that user can't use the Teams client for in-tenant interoperability or for federation. That user can only use the Skype for Business client for interoperability and federation.
    • Teams to Teams communication is always possible in-tenant.

Currently, all federation involving Teams leverages the Skype for Business federation pipeline as well as Teams – Skype for Business interoperability. We are planning native Teams – Teams federation. The present document will be updated upon release of native federation.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 6:08 AM
  • Hi Giorgi Gujabidze,

Is there any update for this issue? If the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Thursday, June 13, 2019 6:01 AM