Windows Server Update speed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We've just set up a new WSUS server in our DMZ- Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V, sat on 2012 R2 Core etc etc.

It's fine- the server has sync'ed etc and is busy downloading but it's chronically slow- been running for a few days and it's only pulled 24GB, which is not much in the world of WSUS.

We're directing the downloads to a cheap Netgear NAS box with 2TB space so storage isn't an issue, just wondering if there's anyway to speed it up? We can't move the files from our previous location because I deleted them- that server has ground to a halt and became unresponsive, and the WSUS disk had filled up so we weren't getting updates. I thought deleting all the updates and re-syncing might help but it didn't, so the old server just needs to be retired.

I've seen various things about configuring BITS but I didn't know how valid they were, plus half the commands available on the web- using ExecuteSQL.exe and such- aren't available under 2012 R2.

Any help will be much appreciated- like I say it's all working but at this speed will be taking weeks to download.

Rhidian

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 2:48 PM

Answers

• just realized you're on 2012 R2. this is a long debated topic as u will see here but it sounds like 2012 R2 allows and maybe supports storing the updates on a remote share. i know this was not the case with v3.2 SP2

given that the NLB configuration of WSUS requires storing the updates on a DFS share, it sounds like you may be ok

i would start looking at the product and categories of updates which u have approved. are u just downloading everything or did u select just what u need?

how are your transfer rates when downloading stuff from microsoft.com, like a large evaluation ISO?

• Marked as answer by rjayt Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:31 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:03 PM

All replies

• the netgear storage is presented through hyper-v or you're redirecting the wsus download location to a share on the netgear (latter is unsupported)

how are you sure the issue is with bandwidth and not disk writes to the slow netgear?

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 7:36 PM
  • Ah, ok, it's the latter. Weird that it's unsupported given the wSUS setup process states theat UNC paths are acceptable.

Can't be 100% sure, just seems that the Netgear is a RAID box w/ 100Mb so can't see why it would be a problem.

Cheers for reply and will bear in mind the unsupported stae- pity, because the Netgear has huge amounts of storage and with WSUS it's not exactly like we need premium disk.

Thursday, October 29, 2015 9:45 AM
  • just realized you're on 2012 R2. this is a long debated topic as u will see here but it sounds like 2012 R2 allows and maybe supports storing the updates on a remote share. i know this was not the case with v3.2 SP2

given that the NLB configuration of WSUS requires storing the updates on a DFS share, it sounds like you may be ok

i would start looking at the product and categories of updates which u have approved. are u just downloading everything or did u select just what u need?

how are your transfer rates when downloading stuff from microsoft.com, like a large evaluation ISO?

• Marked as answer by rjayt Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:31 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:03 PM
  • hi armin19, thanks for the link- busy topic! Normally ok with routine downloads like ISOs etc, but I thought of something else and it may be making a difference- WSUS server is a Hyper-V VM, have set jumbo frames to 9000/ 9014 across the board- Netgear, VM Host, VM Guest and now the Netgear is doing a good impression of speeding up. The WSUS server only has 1 CPU assigned to it too and is frequently peaking, so might toy with giving it more processors.
    Thanks for all your help!
    Rhidian
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 2:12 PM
  • Also, Bjorn.Gunnarsson's first point in your link is exactly right. The post-install configuration lost the "\\" on my UNC, which is kind of crucial!
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:31 PM
  • Hm... I've got a feeling this might have been VMQs on the Hyper-V host. Switched it off, suddenly the Guest is talking in 10s or 100s of Mb a second, instead of 1 or 2. We had this problem on a cluster where the LAN interfaces had VMQ stuff enabled, MS asked me to switch it off.
    Friday, October 30, 2015 10:56 AM