A mysterious "windows key" error - my computer keeps adding a "windows key" when I'm typing in a text field. RRS feed

• Question

• A mysterious "windows key" error - my computer keeps adding a "windows key" when I'm typing in a text field. I've switched keyboards and it's still happening. I'm not pressing the window key and its not stuck or sticky.

I know the shortcuts from using the windows key and use them often. What happens here is is definitely not me hitting the key. Switching key boards has made no difference.

On the logitech keyboard i used I could switch off the the windows keys for game mode and it still happened.

Its quite annoying especially the "r" witch brings up the run command.

Originally i blame the Logitech keyboard, but now I've replaced it and removed all the software and it's still happening.

Ross

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm sorry for couldn't understand your problem clearly. Obviously, you meet a problem with WIN key, but I not sure what's the really problem.

How does it add "Windows key" when you typing in text field. as we know, if you press Windows key, Windows will prompt Start Menu. Is it only happen when you typing in text field?

you also mentioned the problem when you switch game mode between desktop. Obviously, these are two problem with Windows key.

Hoping that you can provide your problem as more as clearly.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, August 2, 2013 6:07 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm sorry for couldn't understand your problem clearly. Obviously, you meet a problem with WIN key, but I not sure what's the really problem.

How does it add "Windows key" when you typing in text field. as we know, if you press Windows key, Windows will prompt Start Menu. Is it only happen when you typing in text field?

you also mentioned the problem when you switch game mode between desktop. Obviously, these are two problem with Windows key.

Hoping that you can provide your problem as more as clearly.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, August 2, 2013 6:07 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.

>How does it add "Windows key" when you typing in text field. as we know, if you press Windows key, Windows will prompt Start Menu. Is it only happen when you typing in text field?

When I'm typing, "like right now", if i type "d" (not "windows-d", just a "d") sometimes the computer hides all programs and display the desktop. (It happens with all the windows-key combinations R, S, D, E, all cursor arrows - up, down,left, right, etc. Both with caps-lock down or up.) I use chrome as a browser (like right now). Oddly enough it's happened a couple of time in the last hour, but not during this session here on technet replying to you.

I'm not including the windows-keystroke while I'm typing. 

It's happening several times per hour or more.

>you also mentioned the problem when you switch game mode between desktop. Obviously, these are two problem with Windows key.

The keyboard I was using is a Logitech G710 with a "game/desktop mode switch". In game mode the "windows key" on the keyboard is disabled to prevent accidentally pressing it during a game. Even when this switch was disabling the "windows key" I was still having the same problem. This told me I wasn't accidently pressing the "windows key", that's why I mentioned it.

Thank so much for looking into this for me. I will have to reinstall windows soon if I can't resolve it.

Cheers,

Ross

Saturday, August 3, 2013 11:19 PM
  • Oops sorry the keyboard was Logitech G510 not G710
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 11:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your particular description. Actually, I'm not sure what does the problem it is, but a comparison test may be a better choice.

Firstly, you can switch your keyboard to another computer, check whether the problem reappares. if so, we may found the answer, if not, the problem must caused by system or keyboard driver. then we can take other measure to fix this problem.

• Edited by Roger Lu Monday, August 5, 2013 1:57 AM modify
    Monday, August 5, 2013 1:56 AM
  • Hi Roger,

I switched keyboards before my original post on Tuesday July 30 and it didn't stop the problem. I didn't try the keyboard on another computer and I can't now as I gave that keyboard away.

Also noticed it was happening when not typing - just using the cursor key to navigate up and down move the insertion point around. Suddenly the the window would resize to he left or right (same as window-left arrow, windows-up arrow etc.)

BTW I regularly use remote-desktop between my 2 computers on a local network, and also use Citrix Goto My PC to conect to work.

Cheers,

Ross

Monday, August 5, 2013 2:09 AM
  • One other point;

My systems has not changed in the last 12 months apart from updates. The only major change of late, is I now use my Surface RT with remote desktop to my main computer, Windows 7 Pro, several times per day.

Ross

Monday, August 5, 2013 2:29 AM
  • Hi, Ross

I'm sorry for my careless, you can refer to the link below, it's problem similar to yours.

http://superuser.com/questions/5480/remote-desktop-pressing-windows-key-randomly

Monday, August 5, 2013 2:32 AM
  • Hi Roger,

Thanks for the pointer to that article.

When this happens to me, I'm not using remote desktop, and it will also happen straight after I've first booted up in the morning, nothing to do with remote desktop.

Cheers,

Ross

Monday, August 5, 2013 2:49 AM
  • Hi,Ross

As you said, we can avoid the remote desktop caued this problem. you also had mentioned that removed all the software. does the software reflect "keyboard driver"? may be you can try to reinstall Logitech driver for test firstly.

In addition, You can make a clean boot for test, to make sure whether it is because a  program or service caused your problem.

Please refer to the following link for more details.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796?wa=wsignin1.0

Monday, August 5, 2013 3:53 AM
  • Hi Roger,

Yes, I will do that. Thank you I'll let you know how I go.

Ross

Monday, August 5, 2013 4:54 AM
  • Hi Roger,

Here's my day 2 testing log...

day 2

7:50am booted up

skype auto loaded

launched polar pro trainer 5
    transfered data  using usb-IR transmitter from bike computer
    launched chrome
    read emails

opened rsvp.com.au

viewed pages

open pof.com

viewed pages

8:05 opened draft email to update log
    ========
    typed "d" -- for "day 2" (beginning of log)--  windows hid all and showed the desktop

========

note no remote desktop used in this session

Cheers,

Ross

Monday, August 5, 2013 10:19 PM
  • Hi, Ross

Have you tried to diabale all the start item in "System Configuration" then restart your system for test?

If clean boot still have no use, you may need to repair your system with Windows image or restore your system. refer to the link below for more details.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:51 AM
  • Hi Roger,

I missed the bit about "clean boot", sorry, I'll try it again.

Ross

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:54 AM