Local rejection of mail in Exchange server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using exchange server 2013 and it is is working in server 2008 R2 platform. IT has  two MBX server and two CAS server Role. There si no issue in sending and receiving internal and external mail. For spam filtering we are using  Sonic wall Hosted Email security. it is a could service from sonic wall and i have administrative level interface through in web.  

But recently i found, mail from a particular domain taking long time to deliver in our domain but there is no  problem to send mail from our domain to that particular domain. In the header analysis of a mail from that particular domain , i  found the the sonic wall taking long time to accept  the mail from that particular domain.  I open a case with sonic wall hosted email security and after a long email query and their investigation they concluded, the delay is due to local rejection of mail from our email server, not with them

Any of you know what is this local rejection of mail in  Exchange server 2013?

Saturday, July 22, 2017 11:03 AM

All replies

• You can verify this by looking at the headers of one of the messages.  Each time a server in the path handles the mail it'll put a time stamp on the message.  You can use the Message Analyzer tool to aid you in looking at the headers if you want.

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

If the headers do indeed show that the delay is between SonicWALL and Exchange, then you can turn up protocol logging on the receive connector to see if there are any messages that would indicate the reason for the delay.  It could be that the message is being tarpitted or something like that, so please post back with what you find if you have any follow-up questions.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, July 22, 2017 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for contacting our forum. Does this issue affect all of the messages from the specific domain or specific messages or just random?

We can check step by step:

First step: as Ed mentioned we can check the protocol log for this specific domain:

1) Run following command to enable protocol log on all the send connectors on that Exchange server. Get-receiveconnector | Set-receiveconnector -protocollogginglevel verbose 2) Try to reproduce the issue. 3) Collect the latest SMTP log from following location on that server(by default): C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive

After that we need to disable: Get-receiveconnector | Set-receiveconnector -protocollogginglevel none 

And then we need to check the message tracking of this message with the command below:

Get-MessageTrackingLog –ResultSize Unlimited –Start "11/2/2017 2:30PM” –End “11/2/2017 3:30PM” –Sender “testuser@thitdomain.com”  -MessageSubject "test"| fl >c:\MTL.txt

Hope it helps and thanks for your effort.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 9:27 AM