none
alternatives to manual scheduling of tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we are planning to use PWA as our primary tool for managing projects (as opposed to professional).

If we want to allocate a portion of a resources time to a task (as opposed to server committing the resource 100%) we have to :

1. add the resource(s)
    2. set the task to manual
    3. enter the number of hours we expect the resource(s) to perform on the task and
    4. set the task back to automatic

Does anyone know a way to do the equivalent without having to change the task type back and forth?

I'm guessing that if we had more seats for professional we could use assignment units but that is not financially viable at this point.

Thanks,

Noel

Friday, November 2, 2012 9:06 PM

All replies

• Have you tried the recalculate button in the ribbon to see the impact of the resource addition, instead of changing the task type?

Treb Gatte | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

Friday, November 2, 2012 11:10 PM
  • Hi Treb,

I'm guessing you mean the 'calculate' button?

I played around with it but didn't notice it doing too much.  When I enter a resource it adds the hours automatically to the work field without the need to use the button.  This happens even in manual mode which is surprising.

Do you know any way to stop server from adding hours to a task when we add a resource through PWA?

N

• Edited by willow1044a Friday, November 2, 2012 11:45 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2012 11:43 PM