Windows 7 64-bit Backup fails Event ID 13 [0x80070005, Access is denied] RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have been unable to do a full backup of my Windows 7 system for several months. The error I see in the Event Viewer is the following:

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and name Coordinator cannot be started. [0x80070005, Access is denied.] 

I tried to follow this article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734254(WS.10).aspx but the version of vssadmin on my machine does not have "create shadow" as an option.

Please help! I can't backup my system.

Thanks,

Josh

Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It sounds like a permission issue; please navigate to the following registry:

Please backup your registry first.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl.

Set the value of the user account under VssAccessControl key to 3 to give it explicit permissions on the VSS requestors.

Meanwhile, to eliminate the software impact, please test in Clean Boot mode for test.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Edited by Cloud_TS Monday, October 17, 2011 9:07 AM edit
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:02 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:07 AM