Lync Server 2010 Integration with current PBX RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to find documentation that explains if I can get  Lync Server 2010 with Office 365 and integrate it with our current non-voip PBX. I am looking into a voip solution and I would like to know if Lync + Office 365 will accomplish this successfully.

I am rather new to this kind of technology so I would love any information. 

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,Jeff,

You can get more information from the TechNet online documents about Lync server with the following link,it also provide some online video to help you understand hwo to deploy Lync server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398616.aspx

For the Lync and exsiting PBX integration you can use third ways to archive it,direct SIP,SIP trunk and certificated PSTN gateway in the link Saleesh posted above,I suggest you read through the documents "Planning for Enterprise Voice" and "Deploying Enterprise Voice" parts,they will help you understand how Lync and PBX integration.

Besides,here are some useful information just for your reference.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/da-DK/ocsinterop/thread/8579c8bc-3433-4163-8174-bbed09c0f47b

http://ucken.blogspot.com/2011/11/lync-and-3rd-party-pbx-integration.html 

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Monday, September 3, 2012 10:16 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:45 AM
  • Direct SIP connection is possible if your existing PBX/Gateway is capable. So Lync server should be able to talk to existing phone system directly. No additional hardare is required if direct sip is possible.

If not, you need to buy a third party gateway (Audiocodes , HP , Ferrari etc) and connect the Lync server and existing gateway on it. New gateway will route the calls between phone system and Lync client and vice versa.

Suppported PBX and gateways are available on following link ; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg131938.aspx#tab=1

Thanks

Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Friday, August 17, 2012 2:29 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Yes , you need a gateway or sip trunk to route PSTN calls. Gateway /pbx will use PSTN network to forward the calls. In order to use Lync Enterprise voice features , you should require PSTN connectivity.

Thanks

Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

• Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Monday, September 3, 2012 10:17 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 9:27 PM

All replies

• Few points here;

• PBX integration isn't available on office 365 Lync online as of now.
    • You can't use same SIP domain on Lync on-premise and office 365 Lync online. Hence you can't extend the on-premise Lync domain to office 365 Lync online with same SIP domain.
    • Lync on-premise would be the best option if you are planning to use VOIP/PBX integration.
    • Hybrid deployment is possible with exchange server , you can also implement SSO with help of ADFS.
    • Exchange voice mail hosting is possible on exchange online with Office 365 E3 plan and above.
    • You can also host Lync voice messages on exchange online UM role.

To summarise, if you are planning to implement Lync PSTN/PBX integration, on-prem Lync would work great.

Thanks

Saleesh

• If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Hm I cant reply to your comment... So ill do it here. 

So if we have a Lync server can we use our current phones (non-ip) to make calls into and out of the office? Doesn't Office 365 have Lync features, already? I am fairly certain I read that you can integrate it with Lync.

So where can I find documentation about Lync Server implementation? 

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:24 PM
  • You can integrate existing phones with Lync via direct SIP or using a PSTN gateway.  Office 365 Lync online doesn't have phone integration feature. You can find enterprise voice deployment guide on following link ; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4816

Thanks

Saleesh

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Friday, August 17, 2012 2:28 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:13 AM
  • This tech is new to me so I am pretty much trying to understand it from the beginning.... 

So they Businesses ISP will provide the direct SIP or a PSTN Gateway? The current phone system is really old so they want to go the route of VoIP with Lync 2010 server.

Did I just confuse you? If so I am sorry. :D

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Direct SIP connection is possible if your existing PBX/Gateway is capable. So Lync server should be able to talk to existing phone system directly. No additional hardare is required if direct sip is possible.

If not, you need to buy a third party gateway (Audiocodes , HP , Ferrari etc) and connect the Lync server and existing gateway on it. New gateway will route the calls between phone system and Lync client and vice versa.

Suppported PBX and gateways are available on following link ; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg131938.aspx#tab=1

Thanks

Saleesh

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Friday, August 17, 2012 2:29 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:00 PM
  • so Audiocodes, HP, Ferrari are for direct SIP, which we dont have, we have a non-ip PBX. So which PSTN gateway would we need to acquire?
    • Edited by jeff.k11 Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:27 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:27 PM
  • They are PSTN gateways :-) , direct SIP doesn't need a gateway.

Thanks

Saleesh

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Thanks for the help, i appreciate it. I am still in college so this is definitely help me in the long run.

Kind of off topic, but Lync Server 2010 require an Active Directory environment?

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:10 PM
  • Thanks for the help, i appreciate it. I am still in college so this is definitely help me in the long run.

Kind of off topic, but Lync Server 2010 require an Active Directory environment?

yes

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Hi,Jeff,

You can get more information from the TechNet online documents about Lync server with the following link,it also provide some online video to help you understand hwo to deploy Lync server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398616.aspx

For the Lync and exsiting PBX integration you can use third ways to archive it,direct SIP,SIP trunk and certificated PSTN gateway in the link Saleesh posted above,I suggest you read through the documents "Planning for Enterprise Voice" and "Deploying Enterprise Voice" parts,they will help you understand how Lync and PBX integration.

Besides,here are some useful information just for your reference.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/da-DK/ocsinterop/thread/8579c8bc-3433-4163-8174-bbed09c0f47b

http://ucken.blogspot.com/2011/11/lync-and-3rd-party-pbx-integration.html 

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Friday, August 17, 2012 2:45 AM
  • So does Lync require a PSTN gateway/SIP Trunking? If we have the integration, will call go out the internet or through the PSTN? Can I just use Enterprise voice without a PSTN connection?
    Monday, August 20, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Yes , you need a gateway or sip trunk to route PSTN calls. Gateway /pbx will use PSTN network to forward the calls. In order to use Lync Enterprise voice features , you should require PSTN connectivity.

Thanks

Saleesh

• Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Monday, September 3, 2012 10:17 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Hi, it might be too late for response but I will give it anyway for future readers.

You can use an SBC in order to connect to Office365, all you  would need is to give that SBC's IP LAN address or FQDN and direct your request there and the SBC would take care of the rest (connection to cloud account, PSTN, etc)

Best Regards

Gino

• Edited by SBC_Gino Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:23 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:21 AM