Outlook 2010 taking very long time to connect to Exchange 2010 SP3. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

All of my Outlook 2010 clients take a really long time to connect to exchange, I'd say around between 30 seconds and 2 minutes. I environment is made up of two Exchange servers EX1 (HUB+CAS) and EX2 (Mailbox). They both servers are running on Windows Server 2008 R2 and have Exchange 2010 SP3 installed. All of my clients are Windows 7 SP1 with Outlook 2010. Both the servers and clients are on internal network. Here is a screenshot of the Connection Status of Outlook on one of my clients:

As you can see those are extremely high Avg Resp times. I have monitored performance counters on the Exchange servers and RPC requests are very low they barely reach 3, the average is 1. CPU, RAM and network utilization are low on the servers. Outlook web access clients and ActiveSync devices seem to work fine with no slowness at all. 

After Outlook clients connect to Exchange, Outlook seems to perform decently. It is not too slow. Emails seem to arrive and go out just fine. The slowness is only upon starting Outlook, during this time it will show as "Trying to connect".

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Edited by Eightbitsshort Tuesday, October 18, 2016 7:36 PM Grammar correction.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 7:35 PM

All replies

• That sounds like more latency issue between the workstation and the server. Avg Proc time shows very low which explains that server is not taking time to process request but request is taking time to reach to the server.

Ask you network guy to check the latency between workstation and server. Meanwhile if it allows, you can try connecting a workstation to the same switch/subnet where your Exchange server is for testing purpose to avoid any network route and that gives you clue if it's a network issue or server.

Amit Tank | Office Servers and Services - MVP | Blog: exchangeshare.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:37 AM
  • I'm the only guy here, unfortunately. 

I ping both Exchange servers and the response time was <=1ms. Not one packet was lost. So think there's no latency problem. I'm also able to remote desktop the Exchange servers fine without any delay.

While Outlook is trying to connect I ran the Outlook's Test Email Autoconfiguration and the log showed the following:

Autodiscover internet timeout against URL https://autodiscover.mydomain.org/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml.

GetLastError=0 httpStatus=401

But after Outlook has connected and running Test Autoconfiguration again it succeeds almost immmediately. 

I'm wondering if this could be related to DNS or Active Directory. Maybe authentication is taking too long? Could that be it? 

I have to DCs and both are GCs and are located on the same network as the Exchange servers. 

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 1:16 PM
  • Hello,

If the user is in cached mode try taking them out or recreating new profile and disable mode cache.

Best regards

Yassine BOUNIF

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 1:25 PM
  • The issue is not user specific, it's happening on all our users Outlook clients.

They are in cached mode. I disabled it and it didn't make a difference. 

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:23 PM
  • Hi Eliyas,

Thanks for contacting Microsoft.

How large of a mailbox for this user, if it's overly large tell them to clean it up. How many folders within Outlook, if there is over 100, that can bog it down. How many additional mailboxes, calendars does the user have? The more of each, the slower it is.

Large or many attachments in the users mailbox? Then try disabling AV temporarily if exist while starting Outlook to see if it goes faster.

Try starting Outlook in safe mode to see if any addins are conflicting with the account.

You can read the article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2695805

BR.

Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:50 AM
  • This issue is not user specific. It's happening to all of my users. Everyone has a 2GB mailbox storage. I have no idea how many folder people have in their mailbox. Very few users have more than one Exchange accounts on their Outlook, as if they do it's only 2. 

I have disabled the antivirus on people's computers but Outlook still is slow to connect to Exchange. There aren't any add-ins on Outlook. 

Thursday, October 20, 2016 6:04 PM
  • Sorry for the later response. Based on your description, it could not the client and server latency issue. As you mentioned above you should consider if any latency between DNS and AD servers.

BR.

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:24 AM
  • My AD servers also hold the DNS roles. I checked latency between Exchange and AD/DNS servers and everything is good. Ping replies have <1ms time response. 
    Friday, October 28, 2016 12:37 PM
  • Thanks  for your reply. Now we would consider the RPC Averaged Latency and the performance issue of Exchange server.

Please see the part ‘RPC Operations’ in the blog and article: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/douggowans/2007/01/02/a-very-quick-guide-to-monitoring-the-performance-of-your-exchange-server/

Client Access Server Counters: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff367877(v=exchg.141).aspx

And check the performance log to see if there any latency.

Please also check the event log to see if any w3wp.exe related error events.

Hope it helps.

BR.

Jason Chao

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 3:26 AM
  • I ran Perfwiz to collect counters. RPC Request and RPC Average Latency are all way below the threshold. RPC Requests varied between 1 and 3. 

The rest of counters were below threshold as well. 

I checked the event log and there were no w3wp.exe errors. What is w3wp.exe?

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 6:52 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. w3wp.exe is an IIS related process. Based on your description, it could be no issue between your Outlook and server. In general, 30s-2minutes is a normal duration.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 2:32 AM