Word 2016 and Onedrive file error - won't open RRS feed

• Question

• Weird situation.

I have a folder in Onedrive with a file in it.  When I try to open the file in a local copy of Word 2016, I get an error saying "Sorry, we couldn't open 'https://d.docs.live.net/b*****************/etc/filename.docx'."

If I try to open the file in Word Online, it works fine.  If I move it to a different folder in Onedrive, I can open it without a problem.  If I move it back, I once again cannot open it.

I moved the file, deleted the folder, created a new folder with the same name ("2018-2019") and moved the file back in - same exact issue.

This is the only file in that folder originally. Any file I move into that folder suffers the same fate.  How do I fix this?

Sunil

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:52 AM

Answers

• No quotes in the actual folder name.

Folder is fairly deep and there are another 6 folders at the same depth all functioning normally.

Same error if I open the file in Word Online and then try to the desktop app.

That said, on trying today it appears to have resolved itself without my doing anything at all..

Sunil

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, June 27, 2018 8:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by SnailMehta Friday, June 29, 2018 6:15 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Sunil,

Do you have quotation marks "" in the name of the OneDrive folder? If so, try removing the quotation marks and then test it again to see the result.

Where is the specific folder? What if we move the folder to the top-level folder under Files?

Besides, do you get the same error if we open the documents in Word Online first, then open it in Word desktop app?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:12 AM
  • No quotes in the actual folder name.

Folder is fairly deep and there are another 6 folders at the same depth all functioning normally.

Same error if I open the file in Word Online and then try to the desktop app.

That said, on trying today it appears to have resolved itself without my doing anything at all..

Sunil

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, June 27, 2018 8:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by SnailMehta Friday, June 29, 2018 6:15 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:48 AM
  • Good to hear that, Sunil. You may keep monitoring on this issue and feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 8:06 AM
  • Dear Sunil,

How is everything going? Does this issue appear again? 

If the issue is not happening now, could you help to close this thread via marking your reply as the answer? Thank you for the understanding and support.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Friday, June 29, 2018 10:03 AM