same file copy & paste in same folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

following situation:
    we want to make scan to fileshare with a MFP. We create a share, make the configuration at the MFP to access to this share, and working well. We are able to make a scan. At the MFP we make a configuration for file name (scan.pdf).
    In this case the first file is named scan.pdf. If we make a second scan, the file will be overwritten.
    If we make this with Win 8.x, it's the same.
    If we make this with Win7 or W2k8R2, this both OS will automatically rename the second file into scan001.pdf. The third in scan002.pdf, and so on.....

our test:

If I make this as a desktop action, I goto into a folder, select a file, right mouse click 'copy', click into a free area in this folder, right click 'paste' , then following happens:
    with Win7/W2k8R2 - automatically saving of the second file, and windows is creating a new name automtcally for this.
    with Win8.x/W2k12R2 - a popup is displayed with question about replace file and other options.

How can I disable this function ?

We need the same behave as Win7/W2k8R2. How to configure this ?

and additional, does some one, how to change 'the naming rule' ? I mean, Win7 is creationg a '001', and '002' and so on, is this value changable ?

Thanks in advance and regards

the_propman

Friday, May 30, 2014 10:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I cannot reproduce the same result.

From the following screenshot, Windows Server 2012 R2 is the same as Windows Server 2008 R2 when copy a file (1.bmp) on desktop.

If it said "replace file xxx", generally it is caused that a files with same name is copied outside of this folder.

Meanwhile I tried on a Windows 7 system and it is the same naming rule ("File Name - Copy.txt", then "File Name - Copy (2).txt", "File Name - Copy (3).txt")

It seems that we cannot change the behavior which is by design. 

Monday, June 2, 2014 9:47 AM
  • Does the MFP have a 2012 driver or are you using an older driver?  Whose MFP?  Have you checked with the vendor?  The fact that the name is being changed to SCANxxx.PDF is something that is happening in the driver, not Windows.  If you create a second copy of a file in the same directory from Windows, it will append '- Copy', then '- Copy(2)', etc.  Therefore, the xxx is not coming from Windows.  Check with the vendor of you MFP to see if they have a driver for 2012.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, June 2, 2014 10:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I cannot reproduce the same result.

From the following screenshot, Windows Server 2012 R2 is the same as Windows Server 2008 R2 when copy a file (1.bmp) on desktop.

If it said "replace file xxx", generally it is caused that a files with same name is copied outside of this folder.

Meanwhile I tried on a Windows 7 system and it is the same naming rule ("File Name - Copy.txt", then "File Name - Copy (2).txt", "File Name - Copy (3).txt")

It seems that we cannot change the behavior which is by design. 

Monday, June 2, 2014 9:47 AM
  • Hi Shaon Shan,

thanks for your reply.

now I've testet this again with Win7, Win8.x and Srv2012 as 'desktop action'. It makes a different, if I copy from outside two times into the same folder, or if I copy two times inside the same folder.
    All windows-versions have the same behavior.

But I'm wondering, why we have this problem with the MFP only with the 2012 Server and not with 2k8R2 ?!

KR
    the_propman

Monday, June 2, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Does the MFP have a 2012 driver or are you using an older driver?  Whose MFP?  Have you checked with the vendor?  The fact that the name is being changed to SCANxxx.PDF is something that is happening in the driver, not Windows.  If you create a second copy of a file in the same directory from Windows, it will append '- Copy', then '- Copy(2)', etc.  Therefore, the xxx is not coming from Windows.  Check with the vendor of you MFP to see if they have a driver for 2012.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, June 2, 2014 10:28 PM
  • Here is the result if copy files outside twice into a same folder. Left one is Windows 2008 R2 and right one is a Windows 2012 R2 system. 

As Tim said it is different on your side, please check if it is caused by third party application. 

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:22 AM