Bug report : Vista and midi files in game RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've installed a game named "final fantasy VIII", an old one, and the sound of this video game is made of midi files.

When I want to lunch this game, a error message tell me that nothing can read midi files. So I take a look to my sound proprieties and see that all is correct. Vista tell me he can read it but it don't.

My sound card in a integrated one, on the P4R800-VM asus motherboard, the soundMAX Integrated digital audio.

(please excuse me my english)

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:35 PM

Answers

• I have an older laptop with integrated sound. It actually has a separate sound device (it shows up separately in the Device Manager) for playing back MIDI files that uses a Microsoft-supplied driver. Have you connected to Windows Update to see if there are any other drivers available for your computer besides the driver for the sound card itself?

Your motherboard includes a generic AC'97 Audio Codec compatible device. Reading through some information online, it appears AC'97 does not support MIDI on its own.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:46 PM

All replies

• I have an older laptop with integrated sound. It actually has a separate sound device (it shows up separately in the Device Manager) for playing back MIDI files that uses a Microsoft-supplied driver. Have you connected to Windows Update to see if there are any other drivers available for your computer besides the driver for the sound card itself?

Your motherboard includes a generic AC'97 Audio Codec compatible device. Reading through some information online, it appears AC'97 does not support MIDI on its own.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:46 PM
  • Thanks a lot,

My soundcard's driver is up to date. That the first time I have this problem, my computer can read midi with win98OS ; win2000PROOS ; XP/XPPROOS ; Linux (FC5 ; SuSe 10.0/10.1 ; Solaris ; Unbuntu 6.06)

I install a midi player (yamaha XG) and associate it with the sound card, but it doesn't work at all for game.

Can the possible reason is the fact that the game want a midi player witch work with Win95 ?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:08 AM