none
2007 Resource Allocation and % completion error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with % completion and resource allocations.

When I mark the item as 100% complete it changes my resource allocation %.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:35 PM

Answers

• Confused,

Simply marking an item 100% complete should not change the allocations.  How are you "marking" the item as 100% complete?  Is it with the 100% complete button on the tracking toolbar, entering 100% complete in the field, or is it with a work or a remaining duration field?  e.g. A task has 10 days planned duration and it only takes 9, you enter 9 in the actual duration field and zero in the remaining duration field?

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:42 PM

All replies

• % complete is a duration based field.  It is the % of the duration of a task that has passed. so as the % complete is changing the assignment (% allocation of a resource will change).  here is an article which outlines task tracking using various methods.

msprojectblog.com/.../Celeris%20-%20Defining%20Percent%20Complete.pdf

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Thanks so much for your fast reply- I will check it out!

Kelle - aka "confused"

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Confused,

Simply marking an item 100% complete should not change the allocations.  How are you "marking" the item as 100% complete?  Is it with the 100% complete button on the tracking toolbar, entering 100% complete in the field, or is it with a work or a remaining duration field?  e.g. A task has 10 days planned duration and it only takes 9, you enter 9 in the actual duration field and zero in the remaining duration field?

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:42 PM