none
Is creating a new standard calendar each year best practice? RRS feed

• Question

• Based on direction we received when installing and configuring Project Server 2010, we were told to create a new enterprise calendar for each year. So for example, we have the Standard calendar that was installed which has non-working (holidays) time defined for dates in 2012. We have created a new calendar called 2013 Standard which has non-working time defined for dates in 2013, same for 2014, etc.

Now that we are at year end, all projects and resources associated to the standard calendar now need to be changed to the 2013 Standard calendar so that non-working time is picked up. This would need to be a yearly activity.

Is creating a new calendar for each year the best practice or should we maintain one (the original) standard calendar and add the non-working time to this one calendar on an ongoing yearly basis?

Thank you,

Megan

Megan D

Monday, January 7, 2013 8:50 PM

Answers

• Hmm, interesting question. I've always assumed that you should use one standard calendar that continues year after year. The issue of changing calendars for projects that span year end just seems too awkward to have a separate calendar for each year.

Graham

• Marked as answer by meduncan42 Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:30 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Megan --

The best practice that our company recommends to all of our clients is to modify the Standard calendar with 5 years of company holidays marked as non-working time.  Given the fact that you can create recurring holidays using the calendar interface in Microsoft Project 2010 makes pretty easy work of this process.  If it were me, I would NEVER recommend that you create a new calendar every year.  That would be way too much work!  :)  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by meduncan42 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Hi Mega,

I would also second Dale's recommendation, and i always recommend my customers the same, that create one enterprise calendar with the 3-4 years of public off days applicable in your region.

This will definetly help in reducing the administrative work you have to do at start of every year.

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Hi Megan - I agree with the above excellent good advice. Plus, consider the fact that all your resource calendars are based on a base calendar. This would be the STANDARD calendar by default, unless changed. You don't want to be changing all this as well every year without fail!! Other key thing to consider is the impact of planning projects that cut across calendar years. 

There should be NO need for creating a new enterprise calendar every year.

Hope this clarifies your query.

Regards, PJ Mistry (Email: pj@projectsolution.co.uk | Web: http://www.projectsolution.co.uk | Blog: EPMGuy.com)

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hmm, interesting question. I've always assumed that you should use one standard calendar that continues year after year. The issue of changing calendars for projects that span year end just seems too awkward to have a separate calendar for each year.

Graham

• Marked as answer by meduncan42 Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:30 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 9:28 PM
  • The reason I am asking the question is because we are finding the maintanance at year end to change calendars on projects, resources, etc to be cumbersome. I need to know if there is a good reason to actually create new calendars year after year. It seems like we should be using one standard calendar that continues year after year. Thanks for the response.

Megan D

Monday, January 7, 2013 9:32 PM
  • Megan --

The best practice that our company recommends to all of our clients is to modify the Standard calendar with 5 years of company holidays marked as non-working time.  Given the fact that you can create recurring holidays using the calendar interface in Microsoft Project 2010 makes pretty easy work of this process.  If it were me, I would NEVER recommend that you create a new calendar every year.  That would be way too much work!  :)  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Hello Megan,

I always uses the standard one and modify them according to the year use because its easy to handle the issue if any , as per day use.

Regards,

Enam

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:36 AM
  • Hi Mega,

I would also second Dale's recommendation, and i always recommend my customers the same, that create one enterprise calendar with the 3-4 years of public off days applicable in your region.

This will definetly help in reducing the administrative work you have to do at start of every year.

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Hi Megan - I agree with the above excellent good advice. Plus, consider the fact that all your resource calendars are based on a base calendar. This would be the STANDARD calendar by default, unless changed. You don't want to be changing all this as well every year without fail!! Other key thing to consider is the impact of planning projects that cut across calendar years. 

There should be NO need for creating a new enterprise calendar every year.

Hope this clarifies your query.

Regards, PJ Mistry (Email: pj@projectsolution.co.uk | Web: http://www.projectsolution.co.uk | Blog: EPMGuy.com)

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:39 AM