none
Is PXE only possible in 2008 WDS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am replacing the Symantec Ghost PXE option that is currently in place with the WDS role on Server 2008. I have run into a snag and I am not sure if it is a problem or if my understaning is incorrect.

I installed WDS, configured DHCP (resides on another server) as outlined in docs and I am able to PXE boot to the point where it tells me that I need to authorize it. i go to the console but when I try to authrize the request id I receive an access denied message.

What I have in place is a custom built boot image. It contains the Symantec Ghost executable and a command line to restore an image. I need this in place as a stop gap until I have worked out WDS and all our production is currently in Ghost images.

So the real question is can I use WDS to simply provide a PXE boot? I am really unsure about two things.

1. In the configuration properties on the advanced tab it talks about authorizing WDS in DHCP. As I said the changes on the remote DHCP server have been made. DHCP will not reside on the WDS server. Do I still need to authorize it on this tab?

2. The documentaiton talks about naming the devices. I do not want to create anything at this point other than a means of PXE booting to the custom boot image. What should I know or do?

Do either of these two questions relate to the access denied message? As a note I get access denied if I try and authorize it on the advanced tab.

Please advise.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:30 PM