Task Sequences not showing in Software Center RRS feed

• Question

• I am deploying the same task sequences to W7 machines in the same collection using CM12. The task sequences previously showed in Software Center on all machines, but now they are not showing on some machines. Using CliSpy and PolicySpy, I can see the the task sequences are successfully advertised to the machines and using SCCM Client Center I can even execute the task sequence remotely, but for some reason they are not visible in the Software Center on the client. Applications and Software Updates are displayed fine in Software Center. Any ideas what might cause this problem?

• Edited by seanels Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:28 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:03 PM

Answers

• It looks like Windows Management Framework 3.0 for Windows 7 SP1 is not compatible with CM12 (presumably it will be with SP1). We had included this updated on our reference image. After OSD, the client is not in provisioning mode, but then ccmeval subsequently runs, it detects WMI issues and triggers a client re-install. The MobileClient.tcf file has SMSPROVISIONINGMODE=1, so it resets the client in to provisioning mode.

The issue is described here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/configurationmgr/archive/2012/10/23/support-tip-configmgr-2012-client-goes-to-provisioning-mode-after-running-the-ccmeval-task.aspx

I tried a standard W7 image and a new client deployment task sequence and the property is still there in the MobileClient.tcf file. I have asked Microsoft if this could be a bug. The workaround we have implemented is to remove the property from the file at the end of the OSD TS. Another workaround according to Microsoft is to delete the file and let the client download a new one from the server.

Friday, November 9, 2012 5:41 PM

All replies

• are the task sequences limited to only run on certain operating systems ? are you sure the machines in question have valid records and are in the targeted collection ?

Step by Step Configuration Manager Guides > 2012 Guides | 2007 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi Niall, the task sequences are set to run on all platforms. The machines have valid records - I can't see any problems with client health. In the console, the device object deployment tab shows the task sequences. I can see the task sequences advertised on the machines using the ConfigMgr Toolkit tools. To prove that the task sequences are correctly deploying to the machine, I can actually execute the task sequence on the machine programatically, which is only possible when the TS is present in local WMI, BUT the task sequences are not visible in Software Center... So, it's not a problem with collections or configuration of the task sequence deployment.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:48 PM
  • I have seen this happen in reverse, where no matter how hard I tried I could not get rid of an item in the Software Center which was no longer targeted at that machine - the policy simply would not go.  In the end I had to uninstall and re-install the client as I never got to the bottom of it in the time available.  You could systematically and patiently try removing the system from the collection, waiting, policy refresh, waiting, re-add to collection, waiting, policy refresh, waiting...

My Personal Blog: http://madluka.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Have you checked the User Experience settings to make sure that it actually shows up in the Software Center?
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Hi MadLuka, I have removed and re-added machines to the collection, refreshing policies in between. On the client, I can see the TS get removed and re-added to WMI, but it still does not appear in software center.

Hi hhancock, there is no User Experience setting for task sequences that determines whether it shows in software center or not - as long as the TS is set to run on the OS platform, it should show in software center. In any case, that wouldn't explain why I see the TS on some machines and not on others - it's the same OS, same TS and same deployment.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:03 PM
  • I didn't mean the TS, I meant the actual application/package.
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:36 PM
  • hhancock - the user experience is defined in the task sequence deployment, not in any packages used by the task sequence. This is not an application.
    Friday, November 2, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Are there any other users logged on to that machine? If Yes, log the other users off and then the task sequence will appear in software center.

Moiz

Friday, November 2, 2012 6:44 PM
  • There are no other users logged on to the machine.

I think I have identified the cause of the issue - the client appears healthy after OSD, but subsequently runs ccmeval and goes in to provisioning mode. The issue is described in this post:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configurationmgr/archive/2012/10/23/support-tip-configmgr-2012-client-goes-to-provisioning-mode-after-running-the-ccmeval-task.aspx

I still haven't found what in the OSD task sequence is causing the mobileclient.tcf file to set provisioningmode to true, but at least I am going in the right direction now.
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:33 AM
  • It looks like Windows Management Framework 3.0 for Windows 7 SP1 is not compatible with CM12 (presumably it will be with SP1). We had included this updated on our reference image. After OSD, the client is not in provisioning mode, but then ccmeval subsequently runs, it detects WMI issues and triggers a client re-install. The MobileClient.tcf file has SMSPROVISIONINGMODE=1, so it resets the client in to provisioning mode.

The issue is described here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/configurationmgr/archive/2012/10/23/support-tip-configmgr-2012-client-goes-to-provisioning-mode-after-running-the-ccmeval-task.aspx

I tried a standard W7 image and a new client deployment task sequence and the property is still there in the MobileClient.tcf file. I have asked Microsoft if this could be a bug. The workaround we have implemented is to remove the property from the file at the end of the OSD TS. Another workaround according to Microsoft is to delete the file and let the client download a new one from the server.

Friday, November 9, 2012 5:41 PM
  • I have identical issue with W7 x64 SP1 and SCCM 2012 R2 SP1

Task Sequences not showing in Software Center, but PolicySpy for workstation shows:

CCM_SoftwareDistribution

ADV_AdvertisementID="SP12001C",PKG_PackageID="SP100029",PRG_ProgramID="*"

Checked Support Tip from Oct 2012, but does not apply to this workstation - ProvisioningMode = false

Anybody any ideas why that might be happening (still)

Seb

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:13 AM
  • Sorted, thank you for this tip! 
    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 4:54 AM