none
Sysprepped Dell Optiplex 7010 Driver Installation Failure RRS feed

• Question

• I needed to create a universal image that can be deployed on Dell Optiplexes 780, 790, 7010, and 9020. I created a sysprepped Windows 7 Pro x86 image on a Dell Optiplex 9020 using the following parameters: oobe, generalize, and shutdown. Then I captured the image using imageX and deployed the image to a 7020 PC. After booting into the image and installing drivers, I used a driver backup utility to copy all of the drivers off the 7010. I then mounted the sysprepped WIM and injected the drivers into it and committed the changes. Then I deployed the image with the 7010 injected drivers to a 7010 model PC, and it will BSOD or fail to boot into Windows. I can get the sysprepped image that has 780, 790, and 9020 injected drivers to work with the other Dell models. I just can't get the Dell optiplex 7010 to install drivers correctly. I am new to MDT and imaging all together. I appreciate any help.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:14 PM

Answers

• You should just let MDT to do the work for you. If you want a deployment solution to be self contained on a UFD then create Media using MDT. I've imaged OptiPlex 745 all the way up to the latest models from Dell using MDT and just adding the Dell CAB files to the out of box drivers. But you'll have a much easier time if you follow the best practices, which are covered in the links I provided.

Think of yourself as a chef in training. You don't start cooking for people by experimenting with ingredients, you follow a recipe. It's not until you are experienced in cooking that you can start to try new methods, because by then you understand what you should and shouldn't do.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by pappa31 Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:40 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:21 PM

All replies

• It would be beneficial to build your image in a VM and not on a physical machine. Here are some links to help you out.

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/174/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss.aspx

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Dell+Business+Client+Operating+System+Deployment+-+The+.CAB+Files

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:41 PM
  • I have to second what Dan was saying here.  While you can sysprep and capture images on physical hardware you are just asking for trouble.  Best practice is on a VM.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:56 AM
  • Thank you for that information. Here is another part of my scenario that I failed to mention, I am putting a sysprep image with injected drivers on a thumb drive for a tech to image different Dell Optiplex models (780, 790, 7010, and 9020). We have a script on the thumb drive that boots into winpe 3.0 and uses imageX to apply the sysprepped wim to the target PC. The sysprepped image applies fine without any drivers added. When the PC is imaged, I go to device manager and look for any bangs in the tree and add those drivers successfully. Then I use driver back up utility to make a copy of those drivers. I then use dism to inject those drivers. After imaging the PC again the sysrpepped image with the injected drivers blue screen. I am sure it has something to do with the extensible USB 3.0 host controller driver. If I used MDT to image the PC, then the inject driver phase of the task sequence injects the drivers just fine. Is there a way to use that inject driver VB script to inject drivers to a mounted wim? Another idea I found was to add a path in the driver install path in the registry and have it point to the 7010 chipset? My main objective is to have a universal image on a thumb drive that can be used to install the image on different models of the Dell Optiplex. Thanks again for taking time to help me!
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:05 PM
  • Thank you for your help too. Could you look at my recent reply and tell me what the best course of action would be for my scenario? I appreciate any insight on this. 
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:08 PM
  • You should just let MDT to do the work for you. If you want a deployment solution to be self contained on a UFD then create Media using MDT. I've imaged OptiPlex 745 all the way up to the latest models from Dell using MDT and just adding the Dell CAB files to the out of box drivers. But you'll have a much easier time if you follow the best practices, which are covered in the links I provided.

Think of yourself as a chef in training. You don't start cooking for people by experimenting with ingredients, you follow a recipe. It's not until you are experienced in cooking that you can start to try new methods, because by then you understand what you should and shouldn't do.

• Marked as answer by pappa31 Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:40 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:21 PM
  • I have some questions on MDT scenario then. When I try to create a media using MDT it errors out, and followed the steps. What is needed for MDT media creation to function correctly? I keep reading about updating the KMFDF update in order for drivers to inject properly, is that something that I should look into doing, or just leave it alone?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:43 PM
  • This should help answer your questions for creating offline media - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn481547.aspx

When you build your image you should do so using MDT and enable the Windows update task so that all updates will be included in your image. Since you'll be building your image on a VM you won't have to worry about injecting any drivers at that time.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:00 PM
  • What I mean by errors out when creating a media. When I go to create a selection profile, it just shows the whole folder name task sequences and it does not have an option to expand it. I cannot select a specific profile.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:03 PM
  • I got the task sequence thing figured out and I am creating an iso now. New question, what is the best practice when adding drivers to the out of box drivers folder? Reason I ask, is that, when create a folder in that directory and add the drivers for that model. Then I browse to the share folders I cannot differentiate between the drivers since they are all grouped together in the out of box folder. How can I keep the drivers separated within the out of box folder?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:27 PM
  • If you are referring to this when creating a new selection profile

You won't be able to pick individual items, only folders. If you want to separate any items, then create folders that you can move them into and then select those folders when creating your profile.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:28 PM
  • http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

Use the "Total Control" method, that's the best method to controlling drivers.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:32 PM
  • Great, I appreciate you leading me in the right direction. I am going to test this out and get back to you with the results. Thank you again.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:45 PM
  • If I have a custom script that I want my task sequence to run that is usually pointing to a folder on the MDT server. How could I do this on the USB media I created, since the USB boots and gets assigned a random letter when it mounts. If I do D$, would that put me to the root of the deployment share?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 7:20 PM
  • Well you could import the script as an application and rely on MDT to provide the paths. That's a simple solution for a beginner

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:01 PM
  • %DeployRoot% still applies to USB media.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:04 PM
  • I have a task sequence that I am trying to add a wireless profile, but MDT errors out upon doing this. I have created a run command line step and named it add wireless profile. In the command line input box I typed in the following the command:

netsh wlan add profile filename="profile.xml"

Then in the start in input box I put the following path:

%deployroot%\Applications

The profile.xml is stored in the deployment share's application folder. I am not sure why id does not work. The passkey in the .xml file is in clear text.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:53 PM