none
Project 2013 and Managing StakeHolders RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way for MS Project 2013 to:

•          List all Stakeholders on a project
    •          List those stakeholders contact info (or link to Active Directory for email and phone if internal)
    •          Assign stakeholders to tasks or milestones.

I know "resources" can be inventoried, but I'm distinguishing them from stakeholders who you would need to report to that don't perform any actual work (ex: C-level, other managers, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
    Monday, October 13, 2014 6:56 PM

Answers

• rimmella --

I do not get the impression that you are using Project Server 2013, but are only using the Microsoft Project 2013 desktop application.  If that is true, I believe you have another option.  What I would do is to create a custom Resource field that indicates whether a resource is primarily a team member or primarily a stakeholder.  Here is how to do that:

1. Open a project and apply the Resource Sheet view.
    2. Click Project > Custom Fields.
    3. In the Custom Fields dialog, select the first available resource Text field, such as Text1 for example.
    4. Click the Rename button.
    5. In the Rename Field dialog, enter a friendly name like Resource Type, and then click the OK button.
    6. In the Custom Attributes section of the dialog, click the Lookup button.
    7. In the Edit lookup table dialog, enter three values: Team Member, Stakeholder, and Both.
    8. Click the Close button and then click the OK button.
    9. In the Resource Sheet view, right-click on the Type column header and select the Insert Column item on the shortcut menu.
    10. In the list of available resource columns, select the name of the new field you just created, such as Resource Type if you used that name.
    11. In the new Resource Type column, click the pick list for each resource and select whether they are a Team Member, a Stakeholder, or Both.

This will now allow you to see who is a team member, who is a stakeholder, and who is a stakeholder who also functions as a team member.  In addition, if a stakeholder is a team member, you might want to specify a Standard Rate for that resource.  Just an additional thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, October 13, 2014 8:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'd suggest to use for the project stakeholders the default contact list of the project (SharePoint) site. But them it will not be correlated to the schedule.

Another tip if you want to simply put stakeholders on tasks without using the default "resource name" field which is used for timesheet/task updates would be to use the "contact" column in MS Project Pro.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Monday, October 13, 2014 7:23 PM
  • rimmella,

In addition to Guillaume's suggestions, the Notes field is often used for reference information since it can take multiple lines of text.

John

Monday, October 13, 2014 7:49 PM
  • Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I was hoping Project would have another module similar to "resources" where you could inventory all of the Stakeholders on a project and list their involvement and/or priority.  I'll try to use your suggestions to see if I can make it work.

My other option was to list them in the resources Module with a prefix such as STK: <Name>.  The only problem with that idea is that I'd need 2 entries for a stakeholder that I involved in doing work as a resource (1 for stakeholder, and 1 for resource).

Monday, October 13, 2014 8:36 PM
  • rimmella --

I do not get the impression that you are using Project Server 2013, but are only using the Microsoft Project 2013 desktop application.  If that is true, I believe you have another option.  What I would do is to create a custom Resource field that indicates whether a resource is primarily a team member or primarily a stakeholder.  Here is how to do that:

1. Open a project and apply the Resource Sheet view.
    2. Click Project > Custom Fields.
    3. In the Custom Fields dialog, select the first available resource Text field, such as Text1 for example.
    4. Click the Rename button.
    5. In the Rename Field dialog, enter a friendly name like Resource Type, and then click the OK button.
    6. In the Custom Attributes section of the dialog, click the Lookup button.
    7. In the Edit lookup table dialog, enter three values: Team Member, Stakeholder, and Both.
    8. Click the Close button and then click the OK button.
    9. In the Resource Sheet view, right-click on the Type column header and select the Insert Column item on the shortcut menu.
    10. In the list of available resource columns, select the name of the new field you just created, such as Resource Type if you used that name.
    11. In the new Resource Type column, click the pick list for each resource and select whether they are a Team Member, a Stakeholder, or Both.

This will now allow you to see who is a team member, who is a stakeholder, and who is a stakeholder who also functions as a team member.  In addition, if a stakeholder is a team member, you might want to specify a Standard Rate for that resource.  Just an additional thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, October 13, 2014 8:48 PM
  • In addition to Dale's excellent suggestion, you could use in the resource sheet (MS Project Pro) the default "group" field.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Monday, October 13, 2014 11:08 PM
  • Dale, thanks for the additional suggestion and the great detail in your explanation.  I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but will soon.

And yes, your impression is correct... I am not using Project 2013 Server (just the desktop Pro version)

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:32 PM
  • Guillaume, thank you as well for your input.  I will take both suggestions and see how to make it work the best

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:33 PM
  • Dale, I forgot to ask, but your question implies that Project 2013 Server edition allows for some kind of Stakeholder management.  Or did I read into that incorrectly?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Dale,

I wanted to report back that I successfully implemented the suggestion you made.  It took me a while because I've been:

1. Working on creating a master template to standardize our internal projects
    2. Learning about Resource Pools and how best to use it with my template.

I'm curious if you think my next approach makes sense; my goal is to create a "stakeholder management" method within MS Project 2013. 

I created a "resource pool project" that will be leveraged for all internal projects and implemented your suggestion on that resource pool. I plan on:

1. Adding stakeholders as resources in my pool for all projects
    2. Obviously, since my resource pool is central to all projects, some stakeholders won't be necessary for certain projects
    3. Every project (working off of a template) has an "Identify Stakeholders" task and I plan on assigning all resources in my pool identified as "Team Member" or "Stakeholder" to
    4. Since each project is different, only those stakeholders that I assign to the project will be associated with it and allow me to effectively communicate with everyone on the project.

Does this sound like a good approach?  I basically want a central place per project to list out all stakeholders and team members so I don't leave anyone involved in the project off of communications.

Thanks for your feedback and I appreciate your thoughts.

Rob

PS: How do we get Microsoft to add a "Stake Holder" tab that included the users email and phone?  :)  This would allow us to easily send email communications directly out of Project to the appropriate group of people ... just a thought.

Monday, October 27, 2014 3:44 PM
  • Rob --

I think your approach is a good starting point.  It sounds like you have been working hard on this process.  Regarding your PS question, do the following:

1. Open your shared resource pool file.
    2. Apply the Resource Sheet view.
    3. In the Code column, enter the phone number of each user.
    4. Right-click on the Type column header and select the Insert Column item on the shortcut menu.
    5. In the list of available resource fields, select the Email Address field.
    6. Enter the email address in this field for every user.

After you have entered the e-mail address for each user, you will now see a little white box to left of each name.  This is the new Lync integration feature that was added in Project 2013.  It allows you to initiate a Lync conversation with that user or even to send an e-mail message if you do not have Lync installed.

By the way, if one of our responses has answered your question, would you please mark that response as the answer?  Thanks!

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, October 27, 2014 5:41 PM
  • Thanks Dale.  I marked your earlier suggestion as the answer.

OK, you last comment helped and got me thinking... I added the email field and since I pulled those resourced from Active Directory, the email address was pre-populated in that field, but why isn't the phone number available.  My AD is very tight with all contact info up to date (I know... I did it myself :).  It's weird that there is no "Phone #" field available, and that if I go to create a custom field, I can't pull the phone number list in AD.

Do you know of a way to do this without Project Server? (you were correct in assuming I'm only using Project 2013 Pro on the desktop)

Also, I have a side question regarding my template (sorry for getting of the main subject of this post).  I opened my "template project" and pointed to my "resource pool" and all is well.  I save the template by exporting it and overwriting the original, and close the resource pool file.  Then when I test and create a new project file based off of the template, the resource pool is set to "Use own resources".

I know that the resource pool file needs to be open whenever you're working in a project file that's linked to that pool, but is there a way to have the template know that it was pointing to a pool and call upon it when a new project is built off the template.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Thanks again for all your help... this has been very educational and set me out on a good starting path for my projects.

Monday, October 27, 2014 6:52 PM