none
I'm looking for best practices or advantages/disadvantages to each scenario on creating and using Group Policies

General discussion

• I've done a lot of work with Group policies and found that to really work with them and get many answers people are looking for, there aren't good tools out there.

There are a few scenarios:  Creating a new policy, using a starter GPO, using a template, copying a previous GPO and changing it.

I found a useful link with comments I pasted it here:

comment link

The comments I like are here:

I haven't seen current information on best practices.  Any comments on these?  Any additions?

Monday, February 6, 2017 5:25 PM

All replies

• Carlo, the link you supplied has nothing to do with GPOs. It's something I would consider SPAM. Was this intentional?
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 7:04 PM
  • I've done a lot of work with Group policies and found that to really work with them and get many answers people are looking for, there aren't good tools out there.

I haven't seen current information on best practices.  Any comments on these?  Any additions?

GP hasn't really changed very much in recent times (since Vista/WS2008 timeframe)..
    All the books written since then are still valid, IMO.

The topic on EE, and the responses/comments, seem to be more related to knowledge, rather than tools?

I find, as with most IT subjects, there are many possible ways to implement/configure GP, and "best practices" is kind of an outdated concept, since BP tends to boil down to this "know your subject, know what works-with or doesn't-work-with component_A and setting_B"..

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 8:43 PM