none
Digitally signing Word macros RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have the macro security setting in Word 2010 set to "Disable all macros without notification." I am trying to test the settting "Disable macros except digitally signed macros." 
    I've generated a code signing certificate from our CA using the code signing template and enrolled it. I then imported the macro I'm using into a Word document and went to Tools > Digital Signature and used my cert to sign it.

At this point I am pretty much stuck on how to proceed. I would like to be able to give that macro to another user or multiple users to use.
    Is there a way to import that macro on another user's machine where it can recognize my certificate and run?
    If I save a word doc with the signed macro in it as a .docm and send it to another user who's setting in Word is "Disable macros except digitally signed macros", what should happen when they open it? I would think they should have the option to Enable Content and then run it but apparently I'm missing something. They do not get that option and if they try to run the macro it says it's disabled.

If anyone can point me to detailed steps on how to set this up it would be very much appreciated as we foresee more need to allow macros in Word but would like do it securely.

Thanks

Kenny

• Moved by Alvwan Friday, October 28, 2016 8:12 AM word related
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Kenny,

Since this issue is more related to Word macros, I will move this thread into Word IT Pro forum so that you would get more efficient support.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 28, 2016 8:09 AM