none
How to recover a deleted/formatted bit-locker encrypted partition? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Could you please help me to solve the problem i faced recently. Let me explain you what happened in detail.

Initially I had 2TB Seagate Expansion Desk HDD, partitioned into 500GB, 13GB, 293GB, all three Bitlocker encrypted and 1 more 500GB unencrypted partition, the rest of the space was unallocated. Few days ago, by mistake, while I was creating Windows Recovery Disk chose the wrong drive letter and ended up whole partitions above deleted. Here’s what I have in HDD now: 32GB Windows 8 Recovery partition and 1831GB unallocated space. After that I haven’t made any changes to the drive. I was able to restore the data from the last unencrypted part by using Getdataback SW but with no luck in my Bitlocker encrypted partitions. I would appreciate any advice to restore the bitlockerencrypted partitions as I have the password and recovery keys to decrypt and retrieve my data back.

Softwares I have: Recuva. Handy Recovery. R-Studio. Getdataback. M3 Bitlocker Recovery. Starus Partition Recovery. TestDisk

I can provide the snapshots of the results from recovery softwares should you need them. Thank you very much!
    Monday, May 30, 2016 11:06 PM

Answers

• Bitlocker encrypts data.  Until you unlock it using the password or recovery key nothing can access it to recover it.  The data is gone

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:54 AM
  • Hi Nozimjon,

Based on my understanding of your current situation, the following article might be helpful :

How to recover data from a deleted, BitLocker enabled partition?

http://www.normanbauer.com/2013/07/25/how-to-recover-data-from-a-deleted-bitlocker-enabled-partition/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Besides, regarding any 3rd party software, please contact the manufacturer for additional assistance.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 11:50 AM
  • Unfortunately, you cant. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 12:13 AM

All replies

• Bitlocker encrypts data.  Until you unlock it using the password or recovery key nothing can access it to recover it.  The data is gone

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:54 AM
  • Hi Nozimjon,

Based on my understanding of your current situation, the following article might be helpful :

How to recover data from a deleted, BitLocker enabled partition?

http://www.normanbauer.com/2013/07/25/how-to-recover-data-from-a-deleted-bitlocker-enabled-partition/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Besides, regarding any 3rd party software, please contact the manufacturer for additional assistance.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 11:50 AM
  • Unfortunately, you cant. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 12:13 AM