none
DNS Server, Exchange server... Problems locking ports. RRS feed

• Question

• My company often runs into networks of less than a dozen computers. Usually only having one server. From my standpoint, since they only have one server and therefore must limit what they have it do.

I often find them using active directory, with DNS server running, Exchange server... I find that if a server uses both of those, that if I run the command

netstat -ano > test.txt
    test.txt

I print this out, because I will find sooo many used and locked up ports, that the Dos window can not hold all the information, and it addition, the serches are easier.

I have found as many as maybe 30,000 used ports on a small network that should not be using more than maybe 100.

By locked up, I mean that it is using maybe port 389, then the port is in a time-wait state, PID 0, which means to me that it is locking the port and the system is unable to release it. If you shut it off for 2 minutes, though, all of those prots will be released.

The problem is, is that we are unable to use any of those ports. I do not understand why someone would be using those programs, when you are able to resolve DNS with out them and without using resources, by using the host files, static ip's and such.

I can understand why a larger business uses these programs, but I have seen this on 3 computer Lan's.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 3:53 PM

All replies

• This forum is for discussions for IT Managers, relating to management topics, and not specific technologies.  I've moved this thread to a more suitable forum.
    -Kevin
    Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    Monday, February 16, 2009 12:32 PM
  • Can you give me the address of that? I do need an answer.

Since this is a question involving DNS Server setup and how it interacts, what area addresses those issues?
    Friday, April 3, 2009 3:46 PM