none
How to apply a GPO Screensaver to password protect the computer after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Question

• We were given the task of setting it up to kick on a screensaver after 15 minutes of inactivity and to lock it at the same time so that they will have to input their password. They also want us to create a custom screensaver for it (Company branded slides). From my reading, a GPO is the way to do it. Anyone have any experience doing this?
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:32 PM

Answers

• What do you exactly mean by a 32bit/64bit mismatch? The screensaver can be run on both. How would I find out if there is a missing dependency?

The .SCR itself runs/works fine when I run it on any machine.

some software, when written/compiled, isn't cross-architecture capable.
    some software, has external DLL dependencies (e.g. runtime libraries)

This doesn't sound like your problem, since you've said that it runs/works fine on any machine if run manually.

my experience is with use of the built-in SCRs. can you test your scenario with one of the built-in SCRs? (which might help to narrow the investigation)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Monday, August 29, 2016 8:57 PM

All replies

• Yep, I've done it a few times, in different scenarios, with varying requirements.

There are heaps of questions asked in this forum about the topic.

There are heaps of guides available for it

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=gpo+screensaver+security&ie=&oe=

As to the choice of screensaver (slideshow or video or whatever), this can come down to what the version of Windows OS you are targeting and it's capability. Win7 is a bit limited compared to WIn8 or Win10.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

To achieve your goal, first you need to enable screensaver and specify a timeout via the screen saver timeout setting.

If you want to specify a screensaver image, you could configure the force specific screen saver.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:31 AM
  • Hello,

To Enable your scrennsaver with the required settings you must go here :

User Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Personalization

Regards.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:40 AM
  • Hi,

Am 24.08.2016 um 21:32 schrieb bb21k:
    > [...] From my reading, a GPO is
    > the way to do it. Anyone have any experience doing this?

No. Not Anyone ... EVERYONE has!
    SCNR,

Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Group Policy - Cloud and Datacenter Management

Homepage:  http://www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch

Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:38 AM
  • So since this the GPO settings are set in the "User Configuration", I would want it linked to the OU that hoses all my users, correct? I have separate OU's for workstations and users.
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:20 PM
  • Yes you must link it to your users OU

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:22 PM
  • So I think I almost have this all setup correctly. What I ended up doing is creating a custom .scr screensaver, Created a GPO - Edited it to run a login script. The script is below:

IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\ScreenSaver.scr GOTO :SCRCONTINUE
    copy \\SomeFileShare\ScreenSaver\ScreenSaver.scr %systemroot%\system32

:SCRCONTINUE

-It tells it to copy my screensaver from that location and copy it to the machines system32 folder.

I've also edited the screensaver settings in the GPO and enabled:

-Enable Screensaver

-Password protect the screen saver

-Screen saver timeout

-Force a specific screen saver

Testing shows that the login script ran - I see the custom screensaver in the system 32 folder - the screensaver settings on the computer are grayed out, showing the idle time I set it to and displays the screensaver name of the one I've copied down. After 2 minutes it's suppose to kick off but instead flashes like it tries to and nothing happens. When I go to the sys32 folder, right-click the screensaver and select "Test" it will not run. I know the screensaver works fine since its the exact one it copies from the server.

Any ideas? suggestions?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:52 PM
  • if it flashes at the 2min mark, that sounds like Windows is trying to run the SCR, but the SCR isn't behaving correctly. is it a 32bit/64bit mismatch? or is there a missing dependency for your EXE/SCR?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:01 PM
  • What do you exactly mean by a 32bit/64bit mismatch? The screensaver can be run on both. How would I find out if there is a missing dependency?

Monday, August 29, 2016 2:31 PM

some software, when written/compiled, isn't cross-architecture capable.
    some software, has external DLL dependencies (e.g. runtime libraries)

This doesn't sound like your problem, since you've said that it runs/works fine on any machine if run manually.

my experience is with use of the built-in SCRs. can you test your scenario with one of the built-in SCRs? (which might help to narrow the investigation)

Monday, August 29, 2016 8:57 PM