notifications icons dissappearing RRS feed

• Question

• i have a win 7 basics on my laptop.

So after running an antivirus scan (where my antivirus did found a virus and deleted it) on my laptop my network and volume icons have dissappeared. altough they appear in the customize option and i haven't changed their setting from the last time.

but still only my battery icon and  vaio smart network icon remain there. 

have insserted a image of the same.

thanks for helping.

Sunday, September 4, 2011 1:12 PM

Answers

• I don't know how you got into this condition - perhaps the virus or recovery from same, or perhaps configuration options you or someone else changed - but the notification icons only show if the applets that back them are actually running

So, for example, in your case the "speaker" icon seems to be missing because the applet just hasn't been started by your system.  Try this:

• Click Start, then type volume into the search box.
    • When Show or hide volume/speaker icon in the taskbar comes up, click it.
    • See if the entry for Volume is enabled.  Even if it is, try toggling it off then on.
    • Does your speaker icon come back in the system tray?

There is likely a different place where your VAIO Update facility is configured similarly.

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, September 12, 2011 6:59 AM
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:41 PM

All replies

• I don't know how you got into this condition - perhaps the virus or recovery from same, or perhaps configuration options you or someone else changed - but the notification icons only show if the applets that back them are actually running

So, for example, in your case the "speaker" icon seems to be missing because the applet just hasn't been started by your system.  Try this:

• Click Start, then type volume into the search box.
    • When Show or hide volume/speaker icon in the taskbar comes up, click it.
    • See if the entry for Volume is enabled.  Even if it is, try toggling it off then on.
    • Does your speaker icon come back in the system tray?

There is likely a different place where your VAIO Update facility is configured similarly.

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, September 12, 2011 6:59 AM
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:41 PM
  • I am also having the same problem.  After not using my laptop at all over the past weekend, I go to use it tonight and my battery and volume icon are missing.  I have gone to the screen to turn off or on the system icons and the battery and volume icon are turned off but I can't get them to turn back on.  There is no drop down option for me to get them from off to on!  HELP!!!
    Monday, December 5, 2011 11:01 PM