none
DPM 2010 Installation Failed RRS feed

• Question

• Can you please help me in installing DPM 2010 on Windows 2008?

The screen said that I should check if the WMI service is running and if not, I should start it. On my VM, the WMI service is already started and its running.

The log had the following error message

[10/11/2010 7:26:48 AM] * Exception :  => System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007042B)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.InvokeMethod(String methodName, ManagementBaseObject inParameters, InvokeMethodOptions options)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Helpers.WmiHelper.ChangeSqlServiceConfiguration(String serviceName, Int32 serviceType, String userAccountName, String password)
    [10/11/2010 7:26:48 AM] * Exception :  => Setup cannot query the system configuration.Verify that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is running. If the WMI service is not running, in Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, and then click Services. Right-click Windows Management Instrumentation, and then click Start.
    To troubleshoot this issue further, refer to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=167898Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException: exception ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007042B)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.InvokeMethod(String methodName, ManagementBaseObject inParameters, InvokeMethodOptions options)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Helpers.WmiHelper.ChangeSqlServiceConfiguration(String serviceName, Int32 serviceType, String userAccountName, String password)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.PrerequisiteInstallation.SqlConfiguration.ConfigureServices()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.PrerequisiteInstallation.PrerequisiteInstaller.Configure()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.ConfigureRequiredPrerequisites()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallerThreadEntry()
    *** Mojito error was: CouldNotQueryWmi; 0; None
    [10/11/2010 7:26:48 AM] *** Error : Setup cannot query the system configuration.

Verify that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is running. If the WMI service is not running, in Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, and then click Services. Right-click Windows Management Instrumentation, and then click Start.
    To troubleshoot this issue further, refer to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=167898

ID: 820
    [10/11/2010 7:26:48 AM] Information : The Data Protection Manager installation did not complete successfully. For details, click the Error tab.

Monday, October 11, 2010 11:32 AM

Answers

• I resolved the issue. The Microsoft$DPM$Agent Account was not having the following priviledges

Replace a process-level token (SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege)

Adjust memory quotas for a process (SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:01 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi

Are you preforming an upgrade from an RC?

Try this:

1. On the DPM server, click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft SQL Server 2008, click Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Configuration Manager.
    2. In SQL Server Configuration Manager, click SQL Server Services, and then in the Details pane, ensure that the SQL Server and SQL Server Agent services related to the DPM 2010 database are running.
    3. If either service is stopped, in the Details pane, right-click the service, and then click Start.
    4. If the services do not start, change the logon account for both services to the Local system account by doing the following:

1. In the Details pane, right-click the service, and then click Properties.
      2. On the Log On tab, click Built-in account, in the Built-in account list, click Local system, and then click OK.
      3. In the Details pane, right-click the service, and then click Start.
    5. Now change the logon account for both services back to the MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct account by doing the following:

1. In the Details pane, right-click the service, and then click Properties.
      2. On the Log On tab, click This account, in the Account name box, type .\MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct, in the Password and Confirm password boxes, type the same password that you used during DPM 2010 RTM setup, and then click OK.
      3. In the Details pane, right-click the service, and then click Start.
    6. Install or upgrade to DPM 2010 RTM again

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Monday, October 11, 2010 12:54 PM
  • this is not an upgrade. I am installing DPM 2010 eval on a VM fresh.

Monday, October 11, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Did you try the steps above?

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Monday, October 11, 2010 1:13 PM
  • I tried the steps above. During DPM install, I asked to create a new instance of SQL.

the SQL Server Service is running fine, but the Agent Service is not started.

As per your description, I can start the service when I change it to Local system. but when I revert it back to ".\MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct", then the Agent Service fails to start.

I also tried to complete the install with SQL Agent Service running as local system, but got the same error.

I have also implemented most the steps listed here (and restarted my machine).

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/60efa55a-64c9-45a9-82a9-e21e677650bb

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MSDN Student Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:00 AM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 2:32 PM
  • I resolved the issue. The Microsoft$DPM$Agent Account was not having the following priviledges

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:01 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:00 AM
  • Hello In my environment, I tried that procedure did not work.

I had to reinstall the operating system. I installed SQL 2008 Enterprise and tried to install DPM 2010 using the local instance. It did not work because the reporting services was not configured properly.

Then installed using the DPM installation and function correctly. I believe that some required components are not installed directly by the DPM and SQL Enterprise added, but could not identify what they were.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Hello Cicero,

On the install of SQL on the Feature Selection prompt all you should need are the following features:
    Database Engine services
            SQL Server Replication
            Full-Text Search
    Reporting Services
    Management Tools – Basic
            Management Tools – Complete
    SQL Client Connectivity SDK

The biggest issue that I've seen, not that this happened in your case, is that once DPM is installed someone wishes to "lockdown security" on the reporting services or chooses to run a security template against the DPM server. As you can see from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399612.aspx

there are specific SQL server services installed. These services run under specific passwords chosen upon the configuration.  This is also not to forget about the user account needs to be added to the local administrators group. Again I realize that you may not have changed anything but it's best to leave things alone once DPM gets installed.  Any configuration changes or "locking down" of the services should be thoroughly tested in a test environment.

Shane

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:15 PM
  • I am having the same WMI issue.  Really stumped.  I cannot get into teh SQL install to update the permissions of the MSDPM account.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:21 PM
  • One of the problems with DPM install is that almost everything which goes wrong is reported as WMI issue. 

I have got WMI error so many times and the solution always had nothing to do with WMI.

Its always the permissions for the Microsoft$DPM$Account thing.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:06 AM

I tried the above, but it didn't work... so I just made that account a local administrator... that seemed to do the trick!

--B

Monday, April 1, 2013 11:00 PM