none
Disk used suddenly jumps by nearly 100% unexpectedly RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon

I have run into something which is of concern to me. My organisation has been using DPM without issue to backup various things like system state on DC's, Exchange DAGs. I run weekly reports on the disk utilisation. It has been growing steadily by circa 0.4% a week. Suddenly the reports showed a huge increase in usage, 91.46%.

This of course came as a huge surprise and I have no idea why it occurred. What I am after is some help in diagnosing the cause of this or if anyone has seen anything similar before? I am wondering how I can track this down to the exact date and time the jump occurred?

Attached is a screenshot of a disk utilisation report. I can think of no reason why the disk utilisation should have doubled.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It looks like it may have been exchange - can you tell me if you did any mailbox migrations lately ?

You will need to create a custom filter and just filter on exchange synchronization and recovery point jobs for that exchange server and see if you can detect the spike of large data transferred.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:18 PM
  • Hi

The thing is the DAG was previously around 130GB and now is around 168GB, could this account for a doubling in the disk used by DPM?

I run 4 hourly syncs with a retention range of 30 days plus a nightly full express backup on each mailbox data base that is part of the DAG (only two).

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:01 PM
  • Hi,

The disk allocated did not change, only the amount used - so DPM did not have to grow any volumes and use more space from the storage pool.  The custom filter should be able to identify when the extra data was brought over.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:29 PM
  • I was finally able to identify that the unexplained increases in disk utilisation were caused by expired recovery points not being deleted as expected.

Running the script pruneshadowcopies.ps1 would not run properly and would crash (this script is supposed to run automatically nightly to remove old expired recovery points, so presumably because it was crashing when I ran it manually it would display the same behaviour when it was run automatically by DPM). I managed to resolve the problems by deleting one of the protection groups and then re-ran the script which this time did not crash and removed expired recovery points as expected. I don't really know why this worked however.

Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:24 PM