none
Issues entering Overtime Work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have resources on the Resource Sheet which have multiple cost rates which contain both standard and overtime rates.

I have a resource who will be working a weekend which will be at overtime rate as it would normally be a non-working day.

I have added the Overtime Work column to the Resource Usage view but I am not able to edit that cell so the cost calculation is coming out at the Standard rate only.

I have tried editing the Overtime work (& actual Overtime Work) via various different views but at all times that field does not appear to be accepting edits.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Su

Monday, February 13, 2017 2:37 PM

Answers

• Su,

The scenario isn't quite as simple as it might seem. In fact, trying to do this using overtime rates will only end in frustration. This is what I suggest.

1. Create a custom calendar to include the weekend work hours. In the example below I arbitrarily use a 6 day calendar with normal work shifts on Saturday.

2. Assign this calendar to the task(s) of interest. The Project calendar should be the default Standard calendar.

3. Set up the resource with a "bump" in rate for the specific time desired, in this case, Saturday. Then "knock" the rate back starting the following Monday.

4. Set the Task Calendar to the custom 6d calendar and select the option " scheduling ignores resource calendar". Note, both the Project and resource Base Calendar are "Standard".

5. Assign the resource to the task

The example is illustrated in the screen shot below showing the resulting costs in the Task Usage view. I set the task duration for 7 days so you can clearly see the cost go up on the Saturday effort and back down on the following Monday. If the Saturday work will continue for additional weeks, you can either keep tweaking the cost rate table for the resource, or you might consider creating separate tasks for the Saturday work. With the latter, you could simple use a different cost rate table (e.g. "B") for each Saturday work day and use the normal rate table (e.g. "A") for standard workweek effort.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by SuClarke Monday, February 13, 2017 6:02 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 5:51 PM