none
DHCP SERVER RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I configure a DHCP server in windows server 2012, i configure address range of distribution from 192.x.x.1 - 192.x.x.254, now the problem is, the client whos getting the last usable ip (192.x.x.254) has no internet connection. did i add the correct range or should i make the address range from 192.x.x.1 - 192.x.x.255?

Thank you in advance.

regards,

Donski

Thursday, June 9, 2016 8:33 AM

Answers

• the last valid address you can allocate for client is .254. .255 should not be used (I don't think dhcp console will allow you to enter it as last address in the range). Please do check that .254 address is not used for some network device: switch, router, etc. You can also turn on conflict detection in DHCP to avoid dynamic assignment of addresses that are already in use in your network. If there is a network firewall controlling access to the internet, then check that all addresses in the range are granted access.

Gleb.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 12:02 PM

All replies

• the last valid address you can allocate for client is .254. .255 should not be used (I don't think dhcp console will allow you to enter it as last address in the range). Please do check that .254 address is not used for some network device: switch, router, etc. You can also turn on conflict detection in DHCP to avoid dynamic assignment of addresses that are already in use in your network. If there is a network firewall controlling access to the internet, then check that all addresses in the range are granted access.

Gleb.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 12:02 PM
  • Hi NEWBEESERVER,

Agree with the above, in addition, please run ipconfig/all on the computer that get 192.x.x.254 address, check the DNS settings.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 10, 2016 3:11 AM
  • Hi Gleb, thank you for you idea. maybe there's a conflict ip or there's any problem that i didn't rectify. what i did to solve the problem, is i just release the 254 ip from the dhcp and renew the ip of the client. because the machine who's getting the last usable ip is a mobile phone.

Thanks.

regards,

Donski

Friday, June 10, 2016 3:20 AM