Exchange 2007 recovery of deleted mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was asked to delete some mailboxes about 30 so i ran the power script cmd to remove them from disconnected users which also deleted their account.

2 of the mailboxes i need back i ran adrestore to get the account back but no luck no mail box so i ran clean-database power shell script and still no mailbox.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get them back i was also asked to create them new mailboxes just to get them working.

Is their anyway i can get them back?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:09 PM

Answers

• If it was on a terminal server then the outlook connection is online so, you won't find the OST file. Even if you have the ost file there isn't a tool by Microsoft for converting OST's to PST's. You may still have to get a 3rd party tool to convert the OST to PST. (In Microsoft terms, OST to PST conversion may be risky and may cause potential unknown/known issues).

If you could at least locate a edb file which used to hold data for the mailboxes removed, we can try performing recovery options like Soft Recovery/Hard Recovery/Repair (which ever possible) and can mount the DB in the RSG and can perform a restore-mailbox.

Bottom Line: No EDB Or No possibility of Restoring Backup , No Data that we can retrieve/Recover.

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

• Edited by PK M Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mrzeeman Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:09 PM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Do you have any retention on your mailbox database?

Get-MailboxDatabase | Select Name,MailboxRetention

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232039(v=exchg.80).aspx

You might be so lucky as to be able to connect their old mailbox to their account, or connect the mailbox to a dummy account and export the content into their new mailboxes.

stefan@xperta

Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Hello Mrzeeman

Wanted to check with you if you are still working on the same issue.

wanted to update you that, in case if deleted objects (AD User Objects) are in Active Directory Tombstone there is a possibility we have to restore Ad Objects. check the links below:

Using ADRestore tool to restore deleted objects

How to restore deleted user accounts and their group memberships in Active Directory

Recovering Deleted Items in Active Directory

Restore Deleted Objects in Active Directory Database Using Tombstone Reanimation (LDP.EXE)

For any assistance on restoring Deleted AD Objects i would suggest another thread on Directory SErvice Forum!

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Monday, December 3, 2012 9:34 AM

All replies

• - After You ran the Powerscript cmd did it also remove the Active Directory User Account?

If the account is lost then the only way to restore the account is from SystemStatebackup. For more assistance on this log a thread on the Directory Services Forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverDS/threads

- if it is just the mailbox that you want to recover then you may create a recovery database(exchange 2010) (or) Recovery Storage Group and then add the mailbox store which used to hold these deleted mailboxes and restore from backup and later run the Restore-Mailbox cmdet.

Please specify your Exchange version /SP / Rollup updates and also about what happened to the active directory account after you ran the script!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Hi M.P.K

yes after the script it deleted the AD account our server is exchange 2007.

I retrieved the user AD account using the ADrestore program. i have a backup in backup exec 12.5 but it only the database and its very difficult to retrieve even that backup not a very good program.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:37 PM
  • At this point we have very limited options: options we have are:

1. if users have outlook in cached mode, we can export the pst and later provision a new mailbox to the existin user and import pst.

2. create an rsg, restore from backup, run restore-mailbox wit -targetfolder & -targetmailbox switches given.

3. if you know how to restore a sinlge mailbox items and if your backup program supprots it thrn you can do a mailbox level restore!

• Edited by PK M Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:07 PM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Hi,Mrzeeman,

Did the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and the database is mounted when you run the clien-database cmdlet?

You also can check the following links to recover the mailbox for the deleted user using Exchange Database

http://msexchangeguru.com/2010/12/29/restore-ad-mailbox/

And some other blog post maybe helpful.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/active-directory/using-ad-recycle-bin-for-mailbox-recovery

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Thanks Sharon yes it was mounted

I'm going to try this i do have a backup exec copy i let you know how it gets on.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-restore-exchange-2007-mailbox-store-tape-using-backup-exec-12

• Edited by Mrzeeman Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:40 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:18 AM
  • Hi M.P.K

is the path for the pst in the users profile ?

Backup exec (rubbish program) is trying to restore the database to the recovery store but has been on 0 bytes for two hours. 

Thanks

• Edited by Mrzeeman Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:36 PM
  • - On the machine where the affected user's profile was configured in cached exchange mode, launch outlook, click on File -> Import/Export , Export to a file -> PST and get the pst.

- Later after you have the mailbox provisioned for this user, import the PST.

- repeat the same process for the second user.

- Also regarding your symantec backup restoration, may i ask you to open a support ticket with Symantec Backup Exec Team?

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Hi M.P.K

it was on a terminal server i recovered the user AD account and had to create a new mailbox by order of my manager and the user has since logged on. I checked the local profile and couldn't find any ost etc.

I did contact symantec but I'm unable to find the paper work for it despite telling them my license key.

Cheers

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:57 PM
  • If it was on a terminal server then the outlook connection is online so, you won't find the OST file. Even if you have the ost file there isn't a tool by Microsoft for converting OST's to PST's. You may still have to get a 3rd party tool to convert the OST to PST. (In Microsoft terms, OST to PST conversion may be risky and may cause potential unknown/known issues).

If you could at least locate a edb file which used to hold data for the mailboxes removed, we can try performing recovery options like Soft Recovery/Hard Recovery/Repair (which ever possible) and can mount the DB in the RSG and can perform a restore-mailbox.

Bottom Line: No EDB Or No possibility of Restoring Backup , No Data that we can retrieve/Recover.

• Edited by PK M Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:17 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Hi

I think its related i restarted the server and either windows back up or Backup exec would back up. This is the standard SBS box but some has installed SQL express on it going to give the below a try.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/f7bef308-6e84-485e-ac19-6231e2f89e08

i'm going to look for the edb file as well

Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Do you have any retention on your mailbox database?

Get-MailboxDatabase | Select Name,MailboxRetention

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232039(v=exchg.80).aspx

You might be so lucky as to be able to connect their old mailbox to their account, or connect the mailbox to a dummy account and export the content into their new mailboxes.

stefan@xperta

Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Hello Mrzeeman

Wanted to check with you if you are still working on the same issue.

wanted to update you that, in case if deleted objects (AD User Objects) are in Active Directory Tombstone there is a possibility we have to restore Ad Objects. check the links below:

Using ADRestore tool to restore deleted objects

How to restore deleted user accounts and their group memberships in Active Directory

Recovering Deleted Items in Active Directory

Restore Deleted Objects in Active Directory Database Using Tombstone Reanimation (LDP.EXE)

For any assistance on restoring Deleted AD Objects i would suggest another thread on Directory SErvice Forum!

Monday, December 3, 2012 9:34 AM