List Style doesn't apply when sharing document based on custom template RRS feed

• Question

• I created a template for someone in Word 2007, using both custom styles for headings and paragraphs, and a list style applied to those custom styles.

The template and documents associated with it worked fine on my computer. I sent the other person the .dotx file and it all works fine on her computer. However, she recently sent me a document based on the template in which the numbering has completely disappeared for some headings (but not others).

The template is no longer installed on my computer, but the document needs to hold its formatting no matter who it is sent to. I was given to understand that creating numbering in this way (custom styles, list style) would make that numbering stick to any documents created by the template. The custom styles work in all other ways (the font, size, etc. is all what it should be), it's just that some (but not all) of the numbering doesn't want to engage.

So my question is - how do I fix it? Any ideas? And if it sounds like I did something completely wrong when I was building the template, how do I do it properly if I have to do it again?

I really appreciate the greater wisdom and knowledge of anyone who can help me.

NB. I use Word 2007 for PC, the other person uses Word for Mac 2011 - not sure whether the transfer of the document from one version to another could have caused the problem?
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    According to your description, my understanding is that you created a template in Word 2007 and it was damaged now.
    I notice that you said only one user’s template encounter the issue.
    I suppose that the template was damage in the user’s computer and we check the issue.
    On the hand, I recommend we create a new template.
    Start with a blank template
    1. Click the Microsoft Office Button  , and then click New.
    2. Click Blank document, and then click Create.
    3. Make the changes that you want to the margin settings, page size and orientation, styles, and other formats.
    You can also add instructional text, content controls such as a date picker, and graphics that you want to appear in all new documents that you base on the template.
    4. Click the Microsoft Office Button  , and then click Save As.
    5. In the Save As dialog box, do one of the following:
    • On a computer that is running Windows Vista, under Favorite Links, click Templates.
    • On a computer that is running Windows XP, under Save in, click Trusted Templates.
    6. Give the new template a file name, select Word Template in the Save as type list, and then click Save.
     NOTE   You can also save the template as a Word Macro-Enabled Template (.dotm file) or a Word 97-2003 Template (.dot file).
    7. Close the template.
    For more detail information, please refer to the following link:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/save-a-word-document-as-a-template-HA010030754.aspx

I’m not sure whether the transfer of the document from Word 2007 version to Word 2011 version.
    And when you send or make the template available to others, the building blocks you saved with the template will be available in the galleries you specified.
    We may create a simple template to test.
    Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by George123345 Friday, August 30, 2013 1:34 AM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 8:33 AM