Print spooler service goes haywire when Word or Outlook is opened with nothing to print. RRS feed

• Question

• On 64-bit Acer laptop with Home Premium and Office 2010 there is a freezing/blinking cursor problem that I linked to "Print Spooler" process. I have noticed that this process becomes active (takes up to 40% of the CPU) when Word or Outlook is opened. On the surface it looks like temporary freezing of the cursor that goes in and out of its rotating circle mode. It happens even with a blank document window. Somehow, only Office applications trigger the spooler's activity (it doesn't happen when I open IE or Acrobat Reader).... I repaired the MS Office but it didn't fix the problem.

I didn't find anybody else who encountered and solved that problem online (people mostly advised on stopping Print Spooler service, manually removing files from the spooler directory, etc). I did all that already.

Please, help!.

Slava

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have disabled the spooler service, and the issue still persists, so I think the culprit is not only spooler service. Please perform a Clean Boot to check the result.

Also, you could try to reinstall  Office 2010 to check the result.

Good luck.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, October 11, 2010 8:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:44 AM
    Friday, October 8, 2010 8:50 AM