Can not update Windows server 2016 (KB4091664) and (KB4467691) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Ms support

I have a Windows Server 2016 server running updates (KB4091664) and (KB4467691) November. I proceed to install the patch as usual. However, this reboot does not apply and reported Undo and do not shutdown and run very long on windows server and. The result is an update failure as shown below.

Please help me to update or error handling if available.

Best regards

Friday, December 7, 2018 3:16 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Here are some common methods for troubleshooting and fixing. Let's start with them and check if they work.

1> Try run following commands in the elevated CMD.

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    rd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    usoclient.exe startscan

2> KB4467691 need to install the latest SSU (KB4465659) first. And it has been replaced by KB4478877. Check if the requirement is met and the latest CU has been installed already.

3> You could try to install them via checking online or downloading then installing them manually. That is not a workaround, but it could help us to isolate the issue.

4> You also could try to install them via DISM command, refer to this.

If the above methods do not work. Please upload the windowsupdate.log for further troubleshooting. It would be very helpful if you could provide more details about your environment and other background information.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 7, 2018 7:57 AM
  • I have exactly the same issue.

Server 2016 Version 1607 Cannot install KB4467691  Connecting to the internet for updates (No WSUS).

Tried downloading the update manually from microsoft update catalog and get the same error.

kb4465659 is already installed.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:06 PM
  • Dear Ray 

I have downloaded your file wu10.diagcab troubleshooting but still error and can not update

After i run tools troubleshoter windows 10. I run windows update again still failed

Please help

Thanks

Friday, December 14, 2018 3:32 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Here are some common methods for troubleshooting and fixing. Let's start with them and check if they work.

1> Try run following commands in the elevated CMD.

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    rd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    usoclient.exe startscan

2> KB4467691 need to install the latest SSU (KB4465659) first. And it has been replaced by KB4478877. Check if the requirement is met and the latest CU has been installed already.

3> You could try to install them via checking online or downloading then installing them manually. That is not a workaround, but it could help us to isolate the issue.

4> You also could try to install them via DISM command, refer to this.

If the above methods do not work. Please upload the windowsupdate.log for further troubleshooting. It would be very helpful if you could provide more details about your environment and other background information.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 7, 2018 7:57 AM
  • Dear RAY,

Thanks for information.

latest SSU (KB4465659) first has been updated success

I will try these your guide and report after

thanks 

Friday, December 7, 2018 9:54 AM
  • Dear RAY

I have try to update again after i follow step by step your guide but do not update successfull.

Report below

I waiting for a long times running. I log on windows server  update failed

Thanks again

Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:56 AM
  • Hello,

The issue is more like on the client side, not WSUS side. It would be helpful if you could upload the windowsupdate.log for further troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Monday, December 10, 2018 7:55 AM
  • Hi RAY

This is my log link download

Windows Log update
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:52 AM
  • Hello,

Do you use WSUS to manage updates in your environment?

I can not find any information about it. Did you remove it from the log? Or is it a policy issue?

Best Regards,
    Ray

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 11:07 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem on my Windows Server 2016 Core installation and I'm not using WSUS either. I guess this has to do with some dependencies of the updates or the installment of updates, which corrupted the update-part of the system. I've tried to follow the steps you provided, but I'm stuck on this part:
    "2> KB4467691 need to install the latest SSU (KB4465659) first. And it has been replaced by KB4478877"

What do I have to do here? KB4465659 is already installed on the system, but do I have to also install both KB4467691 and KB4478877? Can you also shed your light over this?

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 1:39 PM
  • I have exactly the same issue.

Server 2016 Version 1607 Cannot install KB4467691  Connecting to the internet for updates (No WSUS).

Tried downloading the update manually from microsoft update catalog and get the same error.

kb4465659 is already installed.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:06 PM
  • Hi MikeFord

I have install KB4465659  ok,

I download manual KB4467691   install offline but can not successfull.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 2:57 AM
  • Hi Ray,

I do not use WSUS server. I check update windows update of windows Server 2016

Thanks

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 3:13 AM
  • Hi Van Phuong,

I got same issue but i resolved it. You can install first KB4465659--> KB4478877 --> Reboot--> Check update again. After that, KB4467691 will be disappeared.( this KB KB4467691 replaced by KB4478877).

Hope this can help you

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 7:58 AM
  • Thank you
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 7:59 AM
  • Hello,

Considering there is no WSUS in your environment, the issue is entirely on the client.

I suggest you could start with the official update troubleshooter, check if they could help you.

Windows Update Troubleshooter (select Windows 10) 
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

Fix Windows Update issues (select Windows 10)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

Best Regards,
    Ray

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:43 AM
  • Dear Ray 

I have downloaded your file wu10.diagcab troubleshooting but still error and can not update

After i run tools troubleshoter windows 10. I run windows update again still failed

Please help

Thanks

Friday, December 14, 2018 3:32 AM
  • Unfortunately, this didn't work for me either. A fresh install of Windows Server 2016 helped me to update properly. 
    Friday, December 14, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Dear Ray,

I have solved the problem of updating and updating windows successfully. All the above is not true of my case.

The reason is the software veritas backup. When backup completes create exceptions in the directory and no file exists as shown below.

I created manually with the files below to log Veritas backup without warning error. However, it is harmless not to update Windows. I rested a number of files created during the update causing conflicts with my own files created error.

Thanks 

Monday, December 17, 2018 3:15 AM
  • Hello,

Glad to hear it works.

And thank you very much for sharing your discovery. It would be very helpful for others.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Monday, December 17, 2018 9:54 AM