locked
Exchange 2013 (lab): emails stuck in OWA Drafts RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello I have setup for testing purposes an Exchange 2013 CU5 on a 2012R2 which is also DC and DNS.Network wise I have two virtual interfaces one for the internal network (10.10.10.x/24) and another one linked to the Ethernet physical interface of my computer which gets its properties from DHCP (usually my gateway router).

    Everything seem to work normally but when I try to send emails to the outside world I only get a copy of it inside the Drafts folder. :-)

    I thoroughly checked the DNS service (inside the Exchange too), A, PTR records and SOA, I tested the DNS server and nslookuped some internet addresses all resolving fine.The DNS service registers both interfaces DNS servers (the internal one which is the DC and the external one which comes through DHCP).

    Through Test-ServiceHealth in Exchange Management Shell I checked all required services are up and running.

    With Setspn -L hostname  I verified all required services are registered correctly on my server.

    I also checked Event Viewer and besides some performance counters errors about exchange nothing else in there too.

    I haven't registered an MX record because I don't need to receive mail just to send in that  early stage.Am I right in that?

    Any ideas are welcome and thanks in advance.

     


    • Edited by jsof Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:31 PM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:31 PM

Answers

  • Hello all.

    I rebuilt my lab with two distinct VMs (one DC, one EX) both on the same subnet as the gateway and all is fine now.Thanks for your help.

    • Marked as answer by Mavis_Huang Monday, July 28, 2014 6:48 AM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 11:34 AM

All replies

  • When you see this piling up in drafts, it is not even making it to transport. 

    OWA sends mail via drafts folder.  So can you please restart the "Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Transport Submission"  service and see what happens.

    This is also a very bizarre setup.  DCs do not normally have multiple interfaces, and while Exchange is supported on a DC (apart from DAG) its still not recommended.  

    You probably want to simplify this as you troubleshoot - can  you remove the internal interface from the test box, and clean up DNS and host files etc.


    Cheers,

    Rhoderick

    Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

    Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

    Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

    • Marked as answer by Mavis_Huang Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mavis_Huang Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:33 AM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:44 PM
  • I apologize I forgot to mention the send connector was already created.How exactly can I troubleshoot further because right now I don't have any clear indication of what is going on (at least searching inside Event Viewer) - any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

    I would like to try a bit more with my current setup and if I don't manage to overcome the issue I will remove the internal interface (I wanted to emulate an internal domain with a client later) test and report.

    Thanks both for your replies. :-)

    Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Restart that service as task #1 :)

    Cheers,

    Rhoderick

    Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

    Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

    Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

    Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:57 PM
  • Hello Rhoderick.

    I restarted the specific service but nothing changed.If we assume the "external" interface causes this behavior I  am curious to understand why. =)

    Any decent article explaining the engine of Exchange 2013 and any ideas for further troubleshooting would be appreciated much.

    Thank you.

    Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:25 PM
  • Hi jsof,

    Does this issue occur on only one user or all users?

    If only one user has this issue, I suggest try to move the specific user's mailbox to another database for testing.

     

    Thanks

    Mavis


    Mavis Huang
    TechNet Community Support

    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:36 AM
  • Hello all.

    I rebuilt my lab with two distinct VMs (one DC, one EX) both on the same subnet as the gateway and all is fine now.Thanks for your help.

    • Marked as answer by Mavis_Huang Monday, July 28, 2014 6:48 AM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 11:34 AM
  • Hi jsof,

    Thanks for your update. Glad to know that you have solved this issue.

     

    Thanks

    Mavis


    Mavis Huang
    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:45 AM