Migrating Exchange 2003 mailboxes to a new 2007 server on a different domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I was wondering if someone here could give me some guidance/help on the following scenario.

We currently have an exchange 2003 server sitting on our internal domain (domain.xxx.co.uk)

We have recently introduced a new domain into our organisation as our company has merged with another, so we have created domainnew.corp.com, and created external two way trusts. we want to 

We want  to install exchange 2007 in the new domain domainnew.corp.com and then migrate the mailboxes from our old exchange 2003 server.

We will be using the ADMT to migrate all of the user accounts/ security groups and computer accounts to the new domain, but I'm unsure of the process when it comes to exchange servers.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Andy

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Andy,

The simple steps for exchange servers should be described as:

1. Do a preparemove for the account, to create a disabled account and Exchange attributes at the the target domain

2. Do ADMT on the account to transfer account related attributes etc.

3. Move mailbox as user mailbox or linked mailbox. If you still use some applications which need accounts in source forest even after the mailbox movement, move as linked mailbox.

Regards from ExchangeOnline

• Marked as answer by Evan Liu Sunday, January 6, 2013 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

The simple steps for exchange servers should be described as:

1. Do a preparemove for the account, to create a disabled account and Exchange attributes at the the target domain

2. Do ADMT on the account to transfer account related attributes etc.

3. Move mailbox as user mailbox or linked mailbox. If you still use some applications which need accounts in source forest even after the mailbox movement, move as linked mailbox.

• Marked as answer by Evan Liu Sunday, January 6, 2013 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for your reply

Im assuming you do a preparemove in the target forest? 

Andy

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:44 PM
  • Correct. We don't have an option for this at source as you are migrating from Exchange 2003 and a poor guy without a shell :)

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:01 PM
  • excellent.. that is great news! 

in our scenario we're migrating to a new domain corp.newdomain.com which has a child domain of child.corp.domainname.com , i was planning on installing the exchange server in the top level domain, is this a problem for users as i plan to migrate them to the child domain?

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Not a problem at all..This is a common method, when considering the security factors. But you may need to give credentials of corp admin when doing certain operations (depends how the infra is built up)

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:42 PM
  • While migrating from 2003 to 2007 you need to care take of things like:

1)Administrative Rights

2)Active Directory Permission to create new user

3)You should not manually create the user account at the target exchange because at this point the Special Identification (SID) of the user will not be recognised and so for this you can go in for the third party tool or you can go in for the cmdlet script.

4)Each time you are making the user profile and then each time you have to change the outlook settings because if you using the different outlook at the source exchange server 2003 and different outlook at the destination exchange server 2007 and this will be asked in order to support the migration of the mailboxes.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:18 AM