No Applications Association for .VB files RRS feed

• Question

• I have several .VB scripts we run and I recently migrated to Windows 10. On Windows 7 I had no issues with .VB files.

I could double click the file and launch the script. Unfortunately I'm not able to switch the application association to WSCRIPT.exe

Windows states "The Program you have selected cannot be associated with this file type. Please choose another program."

The program resides in the C:windows\system32 directory.

I even updated the registry value for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings and created the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value = 1

no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Monday, November 13, 2017 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

winkey+s>Default Apps>

.vb files (visual basic source files) are associated with Visual Studio IDE.

.vbs/.vbe files (Visual Basic Script files) are associated with Microsoft windows Scripting host.

somehow (it would appear) that you have been using the wrong file associations, you did not include the name of the program that you currently have associated with the VB file extension....it should be Visual Studio or Visual Studio code or Visual Basic 6.

Check your existing file associations for vbs files..... you should rename your scripting files (if indeed they are vbscript and not visual basic source files) with a vbs extension.

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:39 AM
    Monday, November 13, 2017 7:52 PM