none
Only Partial Domain Name Returned When Attempting to Assign Account to Resource

Question

• Hello, I currently have a bit of a weird issue with one of my Windows 2008 Servers. 

The server is joined to our domain and at a glance everything seems to be working properly. Users can log in good, files shares work as intended, and group policies are applying properly. However when I attempt to assign a user to a scheduled task or assign an AD account to run a service only part of the domain is returned. This same thing happens if I attempt to use an MMC tool such as Services or Event Viewer to connect to another computer accounts. 

Our domain entire domain name ci.cityname.state.us. Normally when I attempt to assigned user accounts to resources on a server the account name is returned as Domain\Username. However with the problematic server I am only getting CI\Username.

I have attempted to reboot the server and I also rejoin the server to the domain with no luck. Has anyone ran into this before or have any suggestions?

Kevin Craig A+ | Net+ | Sec+ | MSCA | CCNA

Monday, February 6, 2017 8:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Please have a try to see if they are resolved into the same IP address:
    nslookup ci
    nslookup ci.cityname.state.us
    ping ci
    ping ci.cityname.state.us
    In this case, we could check if everything is working well on DNS resolving.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Intheory87 Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:27 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Please have a try to see if they are resolved into the same IP address:
    nslookup ci
    nslookup ci.cityname.state.us
    ping ci
    ping ci.cityname.state.us
    In this case, we could check if everything is working well on DNS resolving.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Intheory87 Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:27 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 7:10 AM
  • > Our domain entire domain name ci.cityname.state.us. Normally when I attempt to assigned user accounts to resources on a server the account name is returned as Domain\Username. However with the problematic server I am only getting CI\Username.

I fail to understand... What's the FQDN of your domain - "ci.cityname.state.us"?

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 1:02 PM