none
Applications but not Programs showing in Software Centre RRS feed

• Question

• Hoping someone has an answer for this strange issue I've come across.

I was trying to deploy a couple of software updates to 2 servers (2008 r2 64 bit) machines.  I downloaded the updates and deployed them via a Package in SCCM 2012.  I deployed it as an 'Available' Package so it would show in the servers Software Centres.  The Package never did appear in Software Centre on those machines.

I then created a new collection, added 1xWin 7 64 bit machine and 3x2008 R2 64 bit servers (2 of them are the same ones as above).

I deployed to this collection 2 x Programs and 2 x Applications.

On the 2 x original servers only the Applications appear, not the the Programs.  On the other server and Win 7 machine all of the deployments appear.

Does anyone know why the Programs wouldn't be appearing in the Software Centre for these 2 servers?

• Edited by Chris2352 Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:13 PM
    Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:12 PM

Answers

• Software center might not show it if there are multiple users logged in. It will only be shown to the user that got the highest (lowest? Can't remember it) session id.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by Chris2352 Friday, November 22, 2013 12:20 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:44 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the reply and link dekac99.

I know the Applications and Program deployments I have created are correct and should be displaying in Software Centre because they are displaying on other computers logged in with the same user accounts as the computers that the deployments are showing in.

I doubled check my deployments and according to the table on the page you linked to all deployments should be displaying in the Software Centre

Edit - just re-checked and now no Server 2008 R2 machines are displaying the Programs.  They are just showing the Application deployments now
    • Edited by Chris2352 Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:19 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 10:24 PM
  • Just thought I'd update

Running the 'Package and program deployment status messages for a specified client and deployment' tells me that the deployment has been received by the client.

Still doesn't display in Software Centre though

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Download ConfigMgr 2012 Toolkit and use the Deployment Monitoring Tool. It can be used to troubleshoot such issues.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:34 AM
  • Thanks Torsten,

I ran the tool, the deployment doesn't appear in the list.

I have a second System Centre environment that I tested with.  Below is what happened.

I add two Server 2008 R2 machines to a new collection.  I deployed 1 application and 1 program to the collection.

Initially 1 server displayed both deployments and 1 server displayed only the 1 application.

I went through and compared the notification log file on both machines.  They were similar.  Both servers tell me that both deployments are seen.

I wanted to double check that I didn't miss anything so I deleted the notification logs of both servers and removed the deployments. 

Re-added the deployments and let the log re-create. 

Log recreated and both show that they see both deployments.  Neither server now displays the program in software centre, they both only display the application.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:54 AM
  • This is what I see in the notification log:

Event object details:
    instance of CCM_InstanceEvent
    {
     ActionType = 6;
     ClassName = "CCM_Program";
     MessageLevel = 0;
     SessionID = 4294967295;
     TargetInstancePath = "CCM_Program.PackageID=\"DMZ00011\",ProgramID=\"christest\"";
     TIME_CREATED = "130293929455736245";
     UserSID = "";
     Value = "";
     Verbosity = 30;
    };
       (Microsoft.SoftwareCenter.Client.Data.WmiConnectionManager at EventWatcher_EventArrived) SCClient 20/11/2013 2:49:06 PM 7 (0x0007)

And this is the last line

The is no new software available, no need to to anything.   (Microsoft.SoftwareCenter.Client.Notification.SingleInstanceApplication at HandleAvailableEvent) SCClient 20/11/2013 2:49:12 PM 1 (0x0001)

Which is not true.  It should be notifying me in software centre

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:55 AM
  • What does \Monitoring\Overview\Deployments tell?

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Looks good.

I can see the Programs deployed.

If I look at the properties of a Program that was deployed and required it tells me that all the machines in that collection installed it - though it never appeared in the Software Centre on the server computers, only my desktop computers.

The other Available Programs still don't appear on the server machines.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:28 PM
  • Software center might not show it if there are multiple users logged in. It will only be shown to the user that got the highest (lowest? Can't remember it) session id.

• Marked as answer by Chris2352 Friday, November 22, 2013 12:20 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:44 AM
  • Thanks Torsten.

Thats the answer.

Tested with two people logged on.  The lowest session ID saw all the deployments.  Get them to log off so only 1 person is logged on then they see all deployments.

Get second person to log back on and they only see the application desployments, not the program deployments.

Log off the person with the lowest session ID and the other person now sees all deployments.

Thanks again. 

Is this documented anywhere?  I couldn't find it and have been scratching my head for ages

Friday, November 22, 2013 12:20 AM
  • Has Microsoft ever officially documented this behavior? I'm running into this, and I vaguely remembered this was an issue, but not much comes up in web searches.  It took me a while to even find this post.

Levi Stevens

Friday, April 27, 2018 2:58 PM