none
WMI becomes corrupt on FIM Service/Sync server RRS feed

• General discussion

• Twice now on a production FIM server, WMI got corrupted in some fashion preventing us from running Scheduled jobs that start run profiles on MAs. I know others have experienced the same issues. What are some things people are doing in attempts to prevent WMI from becoming corrupt on FIM servers, if anything?

First issue: ILM namespace disappeared or became corrupt
    Resolution: - Open a command window
    - Browse to the installation\bin folder (default: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Identity Integration Server\Bin)
    - Run "mofcomp mmswmi.mof" to recompile the mof file and add the namespace to wmi  (source: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/identitylifecyclemanager/thread/2a4c8f42-4123-4297-aa35-29a96956946e)

Second Issue: WMI repository became corrupt

Failed to initialize all required WMI classes.

Win32_Processor. WMI: Invalid namespace

Win32_WMISetting. WMI: Invalid namespace

Win32_OperationSystem. WMI: Invalid namespace

Resolution: -

Stop the WinMgmt service. Then run the following commands:

1 - "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem> for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s" (without quotation marks)

2 - "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository>for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s" (without quotation marks)

3 - Rename the existing C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\OLDRepository.

4 - Start WinMgmt and allow WBEM to rebuild the repository again in C:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.

5 - Stop Service via Services snap-in or net stop winmgmt, and register the files in the rebuilt c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository folder

6 - Rebuild ILM namespace

7 - Issue should be be resolved.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:01 AM

All replies

• To be honest, I have now been involved with serveral customers which have some form of FIM deployed, and I have never run into any issues like that. I've got a FIM where the various roles are spread out across servers, I've got a fim deployement all on one on Windows 2008, all one one on Windows 2008 R2, multiple environments: test - acceptance - production, ... So I've got some experience...

Can you elaborate more on the topology? OS involved, patches installed, ...

You say you have heard this from others any links?

Thanks for sharing the workaround!

Kind regards,
    Thomas

http://setspn.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:04 AM
  • I also have several environments in various configurations but this is the only one we have had problems with so far.

Server 2008 R2

Windows patches up to date

FIM Portal and Sync this box  4.0.3547.2 (SQL databases located on separate server)

5 MA cycle hits every 10 minutes

Let me know if you can think of any information that might be helpful. There was several links I found while researching the issue on the internet the link I provided in my original post is a good reference. However his sounds like an installation issue rather than a suddenly corrupt issue.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:26 AM
  • Markus,

I have this issue on a 2008 Member Server 64 bit I do not understand how to run the fix below.

Second Issue: WMI repository became corrupt

Failed to initialize all required WMI classes.

Win32_Processor. WMI: Invalid namespace

Win32_WMISetting. WMI: Invalid namespace

Win32_OperationSystem. WMI: Invalid namespace

Resolution: -

Stop the WinMgmt service. Then run the following commands:

1 - "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem> for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s" (without quotation marks)

2 - "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository>for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s" (without quotation marks)

3 - Rename the existing C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\OLDRepository.

4 - Start WinMgmt and allow WBEM to rebuild the repository again in C:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.

5 - Stop Service via Services snap-in or net stop winmgmt, and register the files in the rebuilt c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository folder

6 - Rebuild ILM namespace

7 - Issue should be be resolved.

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:23 PM
  • This fix did not work same errors.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Thanks for this post. Spent the last couple of days looking around to see why I was getting this error.

When running the command line cscript vbs.. I would get

filename.vbs (12, 1) (null):0x8004100E

Which means line 12 in the file is where it error-ed out

This is the line:
    Set Service = GetObject("winmgmts:{authenticationLevel=PktPrivacy}!root\MicrosoftIdentityIntegrationServer")

0x8004100E indicated that there was a problem connecting with the WMI and retrieving a variable. 

I was at a total loss on what was broken and how it broke.. no patches.. Just stopped working. After some thought I figured the application had broken down in some fashion.

recompiling the mof file worked in this instance.

Friday, May 27, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Mike, did you try the instructions under 1st issue?  That is what fixed it for me.

- Browse to the installation\bin folder (default: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Identity Integration Server\Bin)
    - Run "mofcomp mmswmi.mof"

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:53 PM
  • In my case, I was executing FIM 2010 run profiles using Task Scheduler on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. These automated tasks were running 24x7 without issue for about two months. Then, this past weekend, the server was shut down and restarted. After the restart, run profiles were not executing via either PowerShell or VBScript. I traced this down to the fact that MicrosoftIdentityIntegrationServer was now missing from the WMI repository.

I was able to resolve this using the following steps:

1. Click Start, select All Programs, select Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. This will bring up Administrator: Command Prompt.
    2. Type wmimgmt.msc and hit Enter. This will bring up WMI Control.
    3. Right-click WMI Control (Local) and then click Properties. This will bring up WMI Control (Local) Properties.
    4. Click on the Security tab.
    5. Expand the root namespace and verify MicrosoftIdentityIntegrationServer is missing.
    6. Close WMI Control (Local) Properties and then close WMI Control (Local).
    7. Return to the Administrator: Command Prompt.
    8. Navigate to the FIM 2010 Synchronization Service Bin folder.
    9. Run the following command: regsvr32 /s mmswmi.dll.
    10. Run the following command: mofcomp mmswmi.mof.
    11. Run the following command: net stop winmgmt.
    12. Run the following command: net start winmgmt.

Good luck

Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:11 AM
  • This procedure worked perfectly for us as well.  Thank you.  The name space was indeed missing.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Ran into this problem today with MIM 4.4.1642.0 and Toshi's solution worked like a charm.
    Monday, October 29, 2018 8:08 PM