none
Late Schedule Display for Calendar View RRS feed

• Question

• The project I am currently working on is packed full of external dependencies which are communicated to other contractors in a 'last possible' completion date for their tasks. Because of that, we are now working from the Late Start and Late Finish dates for each task.

What I was looking to do, was print out tasks from calendar view that show the late start and late finish of each task (Late Schedule). I attempted multiple approaches to bring this up, but everytime I attempt to view it in a calendar view, it gives me the tasks on a start and finish date basis.

Is there anyway to configure a new calendar view to display only the late schedule? Please let me know how if it is even possible.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:52 PM

Answers

• CD Consultant,

As far as I know you can't do it directly. Project just doesn't have that flexibility for the Calendar view. However, not to be totally thwarted, I do have a couple alternate suggestions.

Have you tried reverse scheduling (i.e. scheduling everything backward from the project finish date)? That basically sets all tasks to "as-late-as-possible". I don't really recommend reverse scheduling because it is very confusing to work with and against the "natural flow" of a schedule but a few users seem to like it, or at least think they will until they start using it.

My second suggestion is a bit more devious. Add a duplicate set of tasks or create a "slave" project file that uses the Late Start and Late Finish fields as the normal Start and Finish fields from the main task/file. This could be done manually (not recommended) or with some VBA. The Calendar view for the secondary tasks (or slave project) would then display Gantt Bars based on the late start and late finish as you want.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:08 PM