Users = mailboxes or smtp objects? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 430 mailboxes on my Exchange server.  I did the dirsynch to FOPE and 523 "users" show up.  100ish of these are distribution lists or mail enabled contacts.  I thought the Forefront gateway worked with dirsynch to make sure only mailbox objects got created as users?

I have 350 FOPE users gratis in my EA and I know I have to add more to cover my 80 or so overage.   I certainly don't want to pay for the extras.  Postini does not charge me for distributions lists - and they shouldn't, since the list really just points to already existing mailboxes.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:50 PM

All replies

• It is always recommended that if we wanna use filtering for those accounts we need to purchase adequate amount of licences....

users added to be provisioned with filtering services by FOPE = Number of licences availed for that Company

Monday, July 9, 2012 12:06 AM
  • Pradeep please reread my question.

A distribution list is not a user.  My 5 emails addressed are not 5 users.  I am one user.  FOPE console says my 5 email address are the same as 5 users.  Postini understands the concept of aliases.  I would think Microsoft does as well and that it is only your misinterpretation of my question.  My Exchange server has 439 mailboxes I need to be licensed for that number, not the 523.

PS FOPE does not rock.  The 350 free licenses I were given under EA mean its worth around what I pay for it (zero dollars).  Postini caught much more and the interface for users was much superior.   The cost savings alone justify FOPE for my organization, but I would never advise it over Postini.

Monday, July 9, 2012 1:33 AM
  • I was told by the MS field engineer to only count valid email mailboxes and not to worry about distribution groups etc. 

MRR

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:03 PM