Chart/Grid Do Not Update When Second Book is Opened RRS feed

• Question

• We are sporadically seeing the following issue in Desktop Professional 6.3/PAS 6.3 Hotfix 2214: 
    1. The user has a briefing book open.
    2. The user clicks on Analytics Server-->Retrieve book and selects a second book to open
    3. The book table of contents in the left menu is updated, but the chart/grid stay the same as whatever was previously being displayed.
    4. If the user then selects any other page in the briefing book, then then the hour glass appears.  The application just hangs.  Looking at the task manager, it is not eating up CPU or RAM, and from a profiler trace, I don't see any MDX query hitting Analysis Services.  I can still go back to Analytics Server-->Retrieve Book and retrieve another book, but the hour glass will never disappear. 
    We are running PAS on Windows 2003 Server with IIS 6.  Has anyone seen this issue before, and do you know how to fix it?  This is currently causing us huge headaches and is causing the application to be unusable for a large number of users.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:10 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Sounds like an interesting issue.  I can't say that I have heard of it before, perhaps one of my peers has.  A couple of questions off the top of my head:

Are there any similarities between the workstations/users that experience the issue?  Or those that don't?

Is the first book opened from the PAS as well?

What hot fix level is the Desktop Pro at?  You can run the ProClarity Diagnostic Tool to find this out.  It's on the Program Files > ProClarity menu on the workstation by default.

Is the second book directed to the same cube as the first book?

Are there any events in the Application event log on the IIS/PAS server that may indicate what the issue is?

Are the users experiencing the issue connecting via LAN or perhaps over a VPN?

I would recommend running your profiler trace on the PAS database when the second book is opened.  It may provide some insight into what the issue may be.  Finally, you might try some http logging with a utility such as Fiddler (www.fiddlertool.com) to see if anything shows up during the process of opening the second book.

Hopefully we can shed some light on this issue for you.

-Bob

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:53 PM
  • Hi Bob,

There is no apparent similarity between the workstations experiencing the issue.  I've even installed the client on one of the servers and duplicated the issue there.  I originally thought there might be some network issue, but since I'm duplicating it from a server plugged into the same switch, I've pretty much ruled that out.

All books are opened from the PAS server, and they are all using the same SSAS server and cube.  The hotfix for the client is version 2214.  There is nothing in the Application event log on the server for PAS or IIS when the error occurs.  Nothing shows up in the event log in Desktop Professional either. 

I will try the profiler trace and the packet sniffer today and let you know if I find anything there.

Thanks,

John
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Hi Bob,

I ran a SQL Server profiler and I installed Fiddler and ran the packet logger.  I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the profiler and nothing jumped out in the packet sniffer.  I didn't see any incomplete packets or xml responses.  Is there anything in particular that I should look for?

Absent anything abnormal in the profiler or http responses, where do we go from here?

Thanks,

John
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:28 PM
  • You might think about applying the latest ProClarity hot fixes to PAS and the Professional client.  You can find them here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dc9cbe69-1db1-4f5d-9b48-06b156c0f2c6&DisplayLang=en

and here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ced0bd47-7d19-40de-8e80-f924784bd7af&DisplayLang=en

If the issue isn't resolved once you're on the latest release, then I would recommend opening a case so that we can troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks,

Bob

Friday, November 21, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Hello,

Just an FYI that John has opened a support case and we're investigating the issue.  Thanks everyone for their efforts so far as we track down the cause.

Monday, December 1, 2008 3:09 PM