none
Changing the planning windows in the tasks tab of project web app RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been trying to change the planning window: in progress for current period. Basically I dont know how to set the duration of the current period. Ideally, I would like it to show tasks in progress/overdue and tasks that are going to start in the current period. 

Right now I see the following two planning windows with the corresponding start and end dates:

- in progress for current period : 2/17/14 to 2/26/14

- distant future 12/2/2013 to 7/14/2014

I would like the current period to be 1 week starting from today. How do I do this?

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Siddsood,

The only option you have is to define the Near Future Planning Window, which you can do in the Task Settings and Display within the Server settings.  

Everything before the Near Future Planning Window is the current period...  

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:08 PM
  • The Planning window view shows any task that is unfinished before the current time reporting period and anything starting in the current time reporting period in the current period. The research showed most team members only looked about two weeks ahead to see what's coming up and everything after that was noise. So, the Near Future Planning window came about.

The distant future should not include items from before the current period. Can you attach a screenshot? Also, what version / patch level are we working with here?

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | @tumbleroad | http://AboutMSProject.com

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:36 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick reply. My intent here is to do be able to do load leveling across different projects using the tasks view. I tried to change the near future planning window option to 2 periods (1 week=1 period) and it created a separate planning window for the next two weeks. Now my problem is this: Say a task starts this week and it has a duration of 1 month. The task view shows me this task under the 'in progress for current period' but it does not show up in the near future planning window. What I really want is to be able to see the hours on that task that are to be spent in the current period and in the near future. So ideally, the current period should be only one week long and the total 'work' from all the tasks (or chunks of it) should not be more than 40 hours (8 hours per day)

Thanks,

Sid

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:35 AM
  • Hi Sid,

I would use the time-phased assignment view (Resource Assignments).  

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:02 AM