How to recover deleted mailboxes in exchange 2010 SP1 after the retension period expires RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

How to recover deleted mailboxes in exchange 2010 SP1 after the retension period expires?  I have restored the databse to recovery database and able to see the mailbox under disconnected mailbox. I am not sure how to recover the deleted mail box? can somone help?

Karthik R

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:31 PM

Answers

• Mailboxes in an Recovery Database can't be connected to user accounts, you must be merged the recovered mailbox into an existing mailbox, or exported to a folder using the powershell command.

just create a new mailbox for that user, then merge the recover mailbox or export it then import the recover mailbox into the users new mailbox.

• Edited by Naser A. Ibdah Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, March 26, 2012 1:44 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:45 AM

All replies

• you can either use the Restore-Mailbox command

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125218.aspx

or you can export the Mailbox to .pst file using powershell and then import it to the user mailbox using powershell or outlook.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633455.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Monday, March 19, 2012 8:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Crowley Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:59 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by RKART Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by RKART Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:38 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 6:44 PM
  • it clearly says mailbox in recovery database canot be connected when i tried to connect from disconnected mailbox window.

Karthik R

• Proposed as answer by Dan B. Lee Friday, September 21, 2012 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:39 AM
  • Mailboxes in an Recovery Database can't be connected to user accounts, you must be merged the recovered mailbox into an existing mailbox, or exported to a folder using the powershell command.

just create a new mailbox for that user, then merge the recover mailbox or export it then import the recover mailbox into the users new mailbox.

• Edited by Naser A. Ibdah Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, March 26, 2012 1:44 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:45 AM
  • change the exchange keep mailbox policy first . use get-mailbox see if can see the user GUID/DN still exist in mailbox database , create a new ad user and use connect-mailbox to conenct to the disconnect mailbox

MCITP & CCIE & RHCE & OCP Free AD / Exchange support QQ 6927317

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Hi PKART,

Any updates?

For more information, please see this similar post:

Exchange Server 2010 Mailbox recovery

http://int.social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/exchange2010/thread/85ee8b35-dcc6-49a2-a896-a7c96a843a81

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:25 AM
  • Hello,

i managed to restore mailbox by copying recovery database into another location and mounted and reconnected to dummy account.

Karthik R

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:22 AM
  • You should be able to mount the database at that point and run a shell script to recover from it. Here, I made a write up about it: Recover a Mailbox in Exchange 2010.
    • Proposed as answer by Dan B. Lee Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:15 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 2:18 AM
  • Karthik,

Would you mind sharing with me the steps you took to achieve reconnecting the recovered mailboxes to a dummy account?  I'm trying to accomplish the same goal as you.

Thanks,

Keith

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Karthik, You can create the account just like you would create any other account in exchange. It's not so much reconnecting the account to a dummy account as much as it is making sure you have a place to put the information of the old account. You don't always have to do this, but it's a good idea to put the data in a new mailbox so you don't overwrite anything. Once the dummy account is created you can use the following command to put all of the data from one mailbox into the new account. To recover the contents of the mailbox to a subfolder of a different mailbox, have a mailbox already created and think of a folder name that you can remember. For this example, the Recovery Mailbox is called Admin Mailbox and the target folder of the Recovery Mailbox will be ‘dlee’: Restore-Mailbox -ID 'Dan Lee' -RecoveryDatabase db1 -RecoveryMailbox 'Admin Mailbox' -TargetFolder 'dlee' I took this from my blog here: http://danblee.com/recover-a-mailbox-in-exchange-2010/
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:19 PM