none
Need guidance on how to use DPM CLI to initiate a backup job and how to gather statistics of a completed backup job RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a single server with DPM where I am backing up data from an external disk storage array.  Manual backups are working fine, but I want to be able to run some scripts that will automate some of my work.

I am new to scripting and am hoping to find some guidance on how to use DPM CLI to initiate a backup job and how to gather statistics of a completed backup job.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

Dave W

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:29 PM

All replies

• Ha Dave,

Did you get your question figured out?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 9:08 PM
  • No I didn't.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of DPM expertise out there that can help with my issue.  Do you understand what I am trying to accomplish?

Many thanks,

Dave

• Edited by dsw1225hou Saturday, December 31, 2011 2:47 AM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 2:46 AM
  • Hi Dave,

If you give more details on what you need to do today to achieve your needs we might be able to come up with something that can make your life easier.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:45 AM
  • I am running a single server with DPM 2010 where I am backing up data from an external disk storage array to a D2D device (VTL).  Manual backups are working fine, but I want to be able to run some scripts that will automate some of my work.  I currently use perl scripts with other applications successfully.

I understand that DPM has many cmdlets available, but I cannot find any that will simply initiate a backup job, run a consistency check, create a recovery point, etc.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Thank you for the update Dave,

Basically you are looking for ways to run Recovery Point and Consistency Checks (CC) from DPM CLI?

You mentioned you are doiing D2D through a VTL device. If this is the case then for DPM is doing D2T protection.

Anyway, DPM does create scheduled jobs to run backups automatically. These scheduled jobs are not enough?

If my assumption of you doing D2T within DPM is correct, then we can't run CC on a tape device.

Let me know which data sources type (SQL, Exchange, Hyper-V, etc) you have set for protection and why you need to manually fire backups.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Thank you Wilson,

The D2D device is emulating a tape library.  In any case I don't think that really matters much here.

I understand that DPM has scheduling available and I have used this feature with no problems.

My issue is that I am trying to run a full backup, use a perl script to change a percentage of the data, then run another backup.  I will repeat this process 14 times.  The reason I am doing this is so that I can evaluate how the D2D deduplicates the data coming in from DPM.

Currently, I have to manually run the backup, manually change the percentage of the data, then repeat.  This takes a long time when doing it manually.

I have perl scripts that I have created to do the work for me in order to save time and human error.  I have successfully tested other backup applications using these perl scripts.  But I cannot find any DPM cmdlets (CLI commands) in order to help in this process.

Monday, January 2, 2012 7:24 PM
  • I might have a workaround for you....

I'll post it later on Today...

Monday, January 2, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Roughly this is what you need....

Suppose I want to manually start a backup to tape for the data source below.

The powershell script below will start a backup job to tape.

ds = Get-Datasource (&hostname) | ? { $_.state -eq 'Valid' -and $_.productionservername -eq '<Server_FQDN>' -and $_.name -eq 'C:\'}
    New-RecoveryPoint -Datasource $ds -Tape -ProtectionType Longterm

Note: Ensure that $ds returns a single value.

You can check the job progress Via PowerShell or DPM Console. To Check the Progress Via PowerShell you need to assign a variable to New-RecoveryPoint command and then check the variable status after n seconds. Here is a full sample:

ds = Get-Datasource (&hostname) | ? { $_.state -eq 'Valid' -and $_.productionservername -eq '<Server_FQDN>' -and $_.name -eq 'C:\'}
    $job = New-RecoveryPoint -Datasource $ds -Tape -ProtectionType Longterm
    while ($job.status -ne 'Failed' -and $job.status -ne 'Succeeded') {sleep 5}

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:18 AM